Red State Brain Drain

I’ve been curious about this: What secondary effects do you think will occur post-Roe, as the gulf between “red states” and “blue states” becomes more pronounced and codified in law? Obviously, it’s more than just the laws, though: it’s also the cultural and political climate (and perceptions of it).

I’m open to the idea that it will be negligible, given how many factors influence where we live. On the other hand, I can see how certain industries and institutions might have a harder time attracting talent (biotech, for example).

Be nice if “progressives” all hunkered down in a few States and left the rest of the country alone.

12 Likes

I’ll bet abortion laws in both red and blue states end up meeting somewhere in the middle. The vast majority of people are not only pro-life by default, but also wholeheartedly approve of things like rape/incest exceptions. Also, this issue isn’t as important as some of you people like to pretend it is. The world is not as radical as you.

Some of y’all need cannabis in your lives. You’re way too wound up, way too easily. :rofl:

10 Likes

I have a friend like that. Owned a medical dispensary and advertised freely, if not injudiciously, by doing things like wearing “weed” socks to golf league. High all the time.

Burned out motor in his 8-year-old SUV because he neglected to check/fill the oil.

Now he needs a ride to and from golf.

So far the trends are precisely the opposite.

And the issue is far more important than you might think…will become more important if women’s health starts suffering because of excessive restrictions coupled with these new enforcement mechanisms which incentivize everyday people to “report” doctors and health care workers.

So I’m not seeing any path towards moderation.

2 Likes

It’s not simply about the abortion laws; it’s the political and cultural atmosphere that wants to put such laws in place. For example, if I was in a gay marriage (or hoped to be at some point), I’d think a lot about where I wanted to live, given the now questionable status of Obergefell v. Hodges. It’s pretty basic: Is my marriage going to be annulled? Will I be allowed to marry the person I want to marry? Or the biotech industry has become known for being welcoming to talented trans people. Marriage. Work. These are not “radical” thoughts.

5 Likes

I agree. I think the trend right now is divergence, not convergence around some “moderate” position.

3 Likes

Precisely.

Is my marriage going to be annulled? Is it going to be not recognized if I move to this state?
Do I live in a state that’s causing health care workers to be overly timid and hesitant in prescribing treatments just because they “resemble abortion” or “can be used for abortion”?
Will my ability to find a job be compromised?

Precisely.

Real impacts.

The kinds that the ideologues who passed these laws keep trying to pretend “aren’t happening” in order to ease their cognitive dissonance.

1 Like
1 Like

Here’s a recent poll focusing on abortion. Obviously, there can be a gap between what people say about what they think and what they actually do.

LINK

2 Likes

I just love the lame liberal progressive assumption that all the smart people are lefties who will bail and move to some lib state.

If they are that smart are they going to want to pay the high tax rates to live in places that have seen a noticeable decline in population like CA, NY, or ILL?

If they are that smart are they going to be buying into regressive/progressive policies that have failed everywhere they’ve been tried?

The arrogant left continues to amaze.

Nobody wants the bs the left is selling.

3 Likes

I assumed nothing (other than my own interest in the topic and, implicitly, that people are thinking and writing about the topic). Did you read my OP?

2 Likes

Alternatively, it may be you have made a mistaken assumption that it’s only left wing smart people that are opposed to the draconian abortion laws being passed in many red states.

Here’s where the cognitive dissonance response that “Oh come on- the end of Roe has functionally changed nothing regarding abortion and women’s health care access” in 3…2…1…

1 Like

Also: most Americans already live in blue states.

2 Likes

Not really…

I suspect many people are where I was.

Personally pro life but willing to buy the whole safe, rare, and legal idea.

Then you regressives started doing things like giving standing ovations to abortion at the time of delivery (AKA murder) in NY and you pretty well lost us.

In the end despite the failure if everything your leaders have done the last 18 months you still assume yourselves to be the brilliant thinkers among us.

It’s really hilarious.

3 Likes

Hmm…living in high crime state or no abortion state. I have to think this one through.

4 Likes

Yep…

California…high crime in the cities…high taxes…everyone is leaving for Texas and Florida…

Maybe Texas and Florida are a good idea!

You have, of course, bought into the right wing spin that this is what was happening.

Imagining that there’s this demand…or push…for elective abortions up until the time of birth.

Abortions have gone slowly down the entire time RvW was in effect- safe, legal and rare was becoming the norm, and there was no push to change that. Incidence of abortions after 20+ weeks was miniscule, and near to term pretty much non-existent.

In short, you were duped into supporting a reactionary crackdown at a level only a small minority of the country supports.

3 Likes

What states are you thinking about? I live in a low-crime state with abortion access.

LINK

Here are the 10 states with the highest homicide rates (most recent data):

3 Likes

Why we can’t have nice things…the reactionaries are the ones yelling the loudest and adamantly refusing to step outside their unreality bubbles.

2 Likes