Rant at Doctors

Unless you paid the doctor he doesnā€™t owe you anything.

Go to the damn doctor.

The amount of pride that men in particular take in not going to the doctor is astounding. Itā€™s no wonder we die sooner. Go get an annual physical.

1 Like

There are a lot of studies out there that show yearly checkups are a waste of time and money. If you have symptoms that youā€™re concerned with, visit the doctor but most people are just wasting time and money by going to the doctor for a yearly checkup, especially prior to the age of 60 from what Iā€™ve read.

I understand the frustration. Might a Nurse Practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic be an option?

Theyā€™re taking patients by appointment only. Even when walk in was a possibility, Iā€™ve never felt I waited around too long to be seen & walked out with a plan.

Or counseling first with a pharmacist? Some endorse European style medicine.

In some of these countries (same as my husbandā€™s native Algeria) the pharmacist is the first go to for many problems.

Thanks, Janet :grin:

It was a check up at my oral surgeonā€™s office. :wink:

I honestly am just so frustrated with how they book patients as if our time isnā€™t valuable and it is taken for granted that people will just put up with it.

That was 2 hours out of my workday where I could have been making an income. Grrrrrr

1 Like

A good deal of the $300 went to the part of ā€œtheyā€ who didnā€™t see you and who wasnā€™t even in the same building as you were.
I remember when for profit medicine was new and the claim was that it kept costs down and would result in better service. Not the first lie that corporatations have told.

Ainā€™t capitalism grand.

They shouldnā€™t, and you shouldnā€™t let them. Clinics are a dime a dozen even in the little hick towns around me. So are dental clinics.

Story time!

Last year the VA cleared me for about $13,000 worth of dental work. A deep clean, a bridge, a couple of cavities, regular cleanings, checkups, etcā€¦

I called all four dental clinics within 20 miles of my house. The first question I had was, ā€œDo you supply NOx? ā€¦ No? Have a good day, thank you.ā€

One clinic said yes, they provide it. I booked with them. They cancelled my first appointment due to overbooking. I show up for the recheduled appointment. Dentist tries putting metal tools in my mouth.

ā€œWhereā€™s my NOx that yā€™all said I was gonna get?ā€

Dentist: ā€œOh, thereā€™s an 8 year old girl using it right now. We only have one tank. Sorry about that.ā€

Me: ā€œOK, go ahead and put those tools away. Weā€™re done here.ā€

Dentist and assistants: ā€œIncoherent pleas for a third chance.ā€

Me: Gone.

I called the VA, told them ā– ā– ā– ā–  that place Iā€™m going somewhere else, and set up an appointment 40 miles away with a clinic that seemed overjoyed to receive a patient fully funded by the federal government with no deductibles in sight.

You know what they gave me? The controls to the NOx apparatus, and a perfect set of shimmering white teeth!

Everyone should take the time to inconvenience themselves in finding the right clinic for their money. Empower yourselves. Where Iā€™m standing, my time and money is far more precious than any of theirs, and Iā€™m the sole arbiter of that decision. All of you belong in that same position.

1 Like

Nonsense. For profit medicine was common from the beginning of this nation. What screwed up the costs is Medicare/Medicaid and government funding almost 50% of the total health care in this nation. You all keep taking the sins of government and trying to blame them on the private corporations. The other thing that screws it up is insurance being in bed with government.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe that doctors in 1776 turned over their fees to a broker.

I believe the doctors in 1776 were getting paid. Thatā€™s for profit medicine.

ETA:
What drives up the cost is when we try to replace profit with government.

2 Likes

I did not leave or miss the appointment. They did.

I was never charged for an appointment they did not keepā€¦

Good story, Six and AMEN to you telling these people to pound sand.

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who sees my time as just as valuable as theirs.

I am PAYING for a service. Yes. Iā€™m putting money in YOUR pocket.

Have some respect for that. Donā€™t treat me as though I should be grateful that you put up a shingle.

2 Likes

Until they get money you havenā€™t paid anything.

Youā€™re missing the point.

2 Likes

I suspect your employer Partners with an insurance carrier in some way shape or form which means you are using a network doctor. I guarantee that the doctors actual reimbursement was much less than $300.

I donā€™t give a hoot who is getting that money, the issue is that itā€™s broken and needs to be fixed. Iā€™d suspect that it has a LOT to do with government regulation and medicare. If that doctor bills you directly, the cost is no where near that. Putting more government in the middle is going to make the problem worse.

1 Like

The reason for the high costs are multiple but in great part is because of the old style copay method of employer Sponsored insurance. If we needed a diagnostic test as a consumer we went to whatever facility was in network and paid our copay with no regard for the actual underlying cost.

This resulted in providers never having fo operate in a truly competitive marketplace.

Since the early noughties consumer driven health plans have become popular because they a) reduce the financial burden on employers and b) force us as users of healthcare services to be informed consumers. Of couse its not all about price, quality is a key part as well; however we are now seeing providers becoming more transparent with their pricing.

Many people do not realize that its highly likely their employer meets the full costs of the medical claims. All the insurance company is doing is processing the claim on behalf of the employer and Billing them on the backend.

This was one of my biggest criticisms of the ACA. It was health insurance reform and did nothing to address transparency of costs by the providers.

No question, too many insurers in bed with government to prohibit competition.

What does that even mean?

How are insurance companies prohibiting competition between providers?