R.I.P. Drummer extraordinaire Hal Blaine ... dead at 90

Legendary drummer Hal Blaine died today. He performed on numerous rock hit songs. The list below is only a small number. They include “Mr. Tambourine Man,” “Good Vibrations,” “Be My Baby,” “Da Doo Ron Ron,” “Dead Man’s Curve” and “Sloop John B.” Had the pleasure of meeting him once. Very nice guy.

At the bottom is a video of footage of the recording sessions from the “Pet Sounds” album with Hal Blaine playing. He was a legend, no doubt about it. RIP. (Language alert for those who need to know.)

Sorry to hear this. 90 ain’t bad though.

I read somewhere that the snare sound he achieved in the last verse of “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” was done in a stairwell. He placed the microphone several floors away in the stairwell. The result sounded like a cannon.

An office I take of has a great stairwell. The building it’s in was built pre-fourties. The stairwell is three stories surrounded by solid concrete and steel. Clap your hands loudly and you’ll continue to hear it for twenty seconds. I’ve always wanted to record some guitar tracks there. I’ve never been bold enough to ask.

Those were some good songs. Rest In Peace, Hal.