Questions on Stare Decisis

I appreciate it, thanks.

I didn’t get into Georgetown, which was my first choice.

I don’t think your second choice is a distant second. I’m impressed.

You didn’t like the term “central government power” - why not and which term would you prefer.

I’m not using “federal”, there’s nothing federal about it. I know where the word comes from.

I’m fine with consolidated government if you prefer.

I’m fine with whatever you want to call it. I agree with what you said.

About “federal”?

No, about “central government” abuse and the Commerce Clause.

Ah so. We agree on much. Have you had occasion to read much of the so called “Anti-federalists”? Melancton Smith or Robert Yates?

Brutus.

Not since high school AP Gov.

I’d be lying if I claimed to remember any of their content.

They had some interesting thoughts on the judiciary.

Like you did to me?

You write something that I disagree with I’ll tell you and why. It’ll make you think about your position. If I write something you disagree with, tell me why. It’ll make me think about my position. It’s how we learn.

If only we did that more around here.

The first use of the Commerce Clause set a legitimate standard of Jurisprudence. Don’t remember the exact case but involved apples grown in state A being sold in state B where state B set a tax on the apples from state A to provide an economic advantage to the apples grown in state B in that state. SCOTUS ruled state B could not do it and were to cease such practice, through the Commerce Clause.

Actually, the first major Commerce Clause case was Gibbons v. Ogden.

It involved competing ferry services between New York and New Jersey.

I’m guessing you’re in your second year? We didn’t touch Con Law till then. After a decade or so, those cases just sort of float away into the ether. The two that stuck with me were Wickard and Lopez. I loved Wickard.

I’m a rising 2L.

We had Con Law I second semester 1L year.

In other words, I took my Con Law final 2 months ago.

Con Law was my favorite class by far. I enjoyed Crim and Civ Pro too.

Property, Contracts and Torts? Not so much.

Contracts was taught by our law school’s worst teacher, but I liked it so much it didn’t matter. Con Law was very good, too. Leaving, I didn’t expect to end up talking about it so much on an Internet forum.

Well, I’m still in the middle of it, man. This ■■■■ is crazy, I need someone to talk to about it.

:laughing:

My contracts professor was awesome, but I just couldn’t get into it.

1 Like

This is a side note - but I’m pretty sure I remember you speaking well of Jonathan Turley.

He was my Torts professor. Great guy, and an incredibly sweet man, but a ■■■■ professor.

You state this, like all the founders were in agreement regarding ideology and policy.

Not even close…at all.