Questions for Biden supporters about systemic racism

Actually I have. You just don’t want to see it.

Here - let someone else try.

“Man” and “woman”, being - by use and the basic function of language - definitional, are now and always have been subject to change in meaning, scope and intent.

A good example of this is modern Croatian, which is a reformed language: it has gendered terms for man (čovjek) and woman (žena), a neuter-use term for person (osoba) and completely unrelated set of terms for people: narod, (implying nationality, ) and ljudi (implying persons, pkural, generally). During the recent Balkan troubles, those terms developed a rather weighted shift in meaning depending on the faiths (Orthodox, Catholic, Muslim) despite Serbo-Croat being the language spoken by Serbs, Bosnians and Croats, and despite their indistinguishability one from the other, phenotypically. (Well, maybe not the Serbs; their o session with track suits and Pumas is almost like a national uniform…)

No, not really. You have a nose you cannot not see. And visual lacunae. Your brain edits them out, or fills them in, for the most part.

Same thing, but reinforced by culture, narrative and bias.

I’ll have to double check these stats, it’s from memory.

Prior to about 1980, we had something like 500,000 people in jail.

After the war on drugs got moving, that exploded to 2,000,000.

And the percentage of the increase that was black americans is huge % despite their small segment of our population.

And keep in mind, there has been NO significant decrease in over all drug use or crime.

So yeah, it sure looks like the only effect the war on drugs had on our country was, it locked up more black people.

Here you go:

If I ever want to start a country the size of Croatia, I’ll keep that in mind.

No, you haven’t. Not even close.

Your “article”, did you read it? In no way, shape or form does that article prove “systemic racism”.

What do every one of those charts have in common? They are outcomes. They ignore choices. They ignore other factors. They ignore geography. They ignore everything but race.

Just like you do.

I already addressed most of them in my “rant”.

The soft bigotry of low expectations. It must be racism.

Your own article tells you something important in at least one place.

Are you claiming there are more black drug dealers than white?

Is there something genetic to black people that predisposes them to dealing drugs?

I’m claiming that the system is such that we can lock up more black people than white people.

Because they are black?

Show me where that is in the system.

We’ve been through this.

You don’t see it.

There is nothing more I can say to explain it.

So then, how do you explain black incarceration rates?

But you do? If you can see it and show it to me, I can see it too.

They commit more crimes. Is it because of their race?

Every example, including your article, you have given is NY or California.

Food for thought?

I’m going to try one more time.

You are actually explaining exactly how it works.

It’s illegal to write laws based on race, right? But you can create a system that benefits other things, that recognizes other things…

So, for example, we agree I think that the criminal justice system rewards wealth. Those with money do better in court, plain and simple. Well, since poverty and race are actually closely correlated, that achieves the same goal.

You mentioned geography - OK. You can’t legally keep black people from voting, right? But if you know inner city black americans don’t often have cars, and you know where teh public transit systems operate, you could only open polling places outside of a walking distance of black neighborhoods, and be sure they are not on the mass transit lines.

That’s systemic racism.

Here is another one related to voting -

You can’t deny people the right to vote based on color.

But if you know a high percentage of black americans end up in jail, you can restrict the rights of JAILED PEOPLE to vote, and you achieve the same thing.

1 Like

No, it is not. Again you are ignoring the prime factors. If those populations were 100% white but 90% of the voted for the other party, the party in power would do the same exact thing. That’s politics, not racism.

The Republican Party does everything it can to reduce Democrat Party votes and vice versa. Nobody is going to help the other side vote.

Are they letting white inmates vote? No. Inmates are being punished. They forfeited. Because they are inmates, not because they are black.

In order to claim “systemic”, you have to show process, not outcome. Outcome is what it is, not what caused it.

First, you can’t prove they ‘commit more crimes’. And in fact, if you include drug possession, I’m pretty sure they don’t.

They are arrested and prosecuted more.

But, speaking of systemic racism…if you put people in a city, and you defund mass transportation so they can’t easily move around, and you underfund their schools, , and you leave everyone with little to no opportunity other than illicit endeviours, and then on top of that you enact a policy of broken window enforcement with an over funded PD…you think you might end up with a high percentage of those people in jail?

Of course I can by proportion - there’s more locked up.

Nobody put anybody anywhere in this country.

No! Thats’ the exact point. You have been making my point for me - like three times - better than I am making it.

YOU AREN"T ALLOW to openly discriminate. But if you have a system that RESULTS in discrimination, but is not based on race, you have achieved the same thing.

Wether you believe it was nefarious, or not, or wether it is even happening, that’s beside the point.

But you have described what systemic racism is. A system that RESULTS in discrimination based on race.

Red lining - now outlawed. Is a pretty good example too.

It was illegal for banks to deny a loan to a person based on race. But for decades it was not illegal to deny a loan based on an ADDRESS.

Banks would ‘red line’ entire neighborhoods, and refuse to write loans to anyone wanting to buy a house there.

It just so happened the red lined neighborhoods were where the black americans wanted to live.

The result of refusing to lend money to people to buy a home based on the address of the home was, black americans couldn’t get mortgages.

That is systemic racism.

:rofl: You don’t know anything about that.

How does that prove they commit more crimes?

All it proves is, they are arrested and locked up.

Doesn’t prove how many crimes were committed.

Horse ■■■■■