Question About A Loving God

Is this a serious question? Do you seek to minimize suffering by your mate when you have the power to do so?

No idea. But I don’t feel the need to pretend that all suffering has meaning.

1 Like

What suffering do I have the power to minimize?

Suffering means there are free-will beings other than God, many of whom do not have your best interests at heart, one often being yourself.

To be fair, there are plenty of vectors that are not a result of any free-will beings. For example, there are plenty of people suffering right now in New Orleans whose suffering has nothing to do with any human-caused factor.

People who want to convince themselves that there is no loving God will gravitate to those examples rather than the obvious human-caused ones.

Aren’t you a mother? A wife?

Yes. So tell me, what suffering do I have the power to minimize?

You don’t alleviate suffering for your loved ones?

What suffering? And how does one alleviate suffering? For example, my suffered from Ahlzheimers. How would you recommend I alleviate this suffering?

I’d imagine you do what is in your power to do, right? If your loved one has an illness and is suffering physical pain, you may go to the store to pick up the meds to help alleviate that suffering, right? One example of many. Simply putting a pillow under a sick person’s head to make them more comfortable similarly relieves suffering.

If it were my loved one, I would do everything in my power to alleviate their suffering.

Attitude of gratitude. There is plenty in our day to day lives that we can have gratitude about.

Is that about you or them?

Because you can’t alleviate suffering anymore than you can affect climate change.

I can put a pillow under their head to alleviate some of their suffering. It isn’t a black or white situation.

Okay. You can offer comfort to the best of your abilities an I commend you for that.

But you cannot fathom suffering and fix it.

Why not? Doctors study for years and are able to heal things unheard of centuries ago. That seems to alleviate suffering.

Heck, if someone is experiencing pain from an uti, suffering is fixed via a simple prescription.

1 Like

Doctors just told my best friend there is nothing they can do for her cancer.

What you are offering by putting a pillow under their head is comfort. You are not alleviating suffering.

I didn’t say you could alleviate all suffering, did I? Don’t you alleviate what is within your power to alleviate?

If they had a pain in their neck, the pillow alleviates suffering. Clearly suffering goes from very minor to major in magnitude.

Within your power. Yes.

That is minor. It is offering comfort.

Perhaps in your mind that is alleviation suffering?

Or is it making suffering more palatable?

You’re really going to pettifog this? If you don’t like the pillow example feel free to examine the uti example. Or explore how just talking to someone with mental heath issues or even problems can help alleviate their suffering.

If you think that relieves the suffering of Ahlzheimers, think again. We did that and so much more, but none of us fooled ourselves into thinking we were relieving the suffering.

Serious? I’m not speaking to Alzheimer’s. What is so difficult to understand about you do what is in your power to do. Not all suffering can be alleviated. It isn’t an all or nothing.