Proposal: Illinois says no to Trump unless tax returns are released

You can still write in the name. Nobody stopped you from voting for that person, just that his name isn’t on the ballot.

Playing Devils Advocate. I actually agree and think the measure would be found unconstitutional.

The 14th deals with all laws both state and federal. Equal protection under the law. Its so broad in the scholarly sense a lot of people hate it. I wont pretend it hasnt been used to justify both sides of the political spectrum at various times. But it does exist and can be applied in a lot of different ways.

This sort of nonsense clearly and unambiguously shows that there should be an independent body, maybe modelled on Australia’s electoral commission, to be responsible for the drawing up of boundaries for the House of Reps and the conduct of elections and counting of same

The beauty of having fifty states each run their own election is precisely to NOT give too much authority to one super-commission, but rather spread out the election over fifty jurisdictions which are then divided into even smaller jurisdictions or precincts.

It’s virtually impossible to corrupt all those jurisdicitions at once, but far easier to corrupt your super-commission.

You are all too willing to let central authority rule. It’s usually not such a great idea for freedom. We like the concept of individual states for a reason. We have 50 laboratories all trying different theories of the best concepts of governing. Don’t like the government of your state? You have 49 others to try out.

Let a Connecticut Yankee be a Connecticut Yankee and don’t require he and the Arizona Rattler act like they are the same thing. They never will be and we are better for it.

M

Next thing you will tell me that the House of Representative districts in the USA are not gerrymandered by States.

I thought the courts didn’t get involved with how states ran elections?

We already saw them howl about that.

The more important issue to me is that republicans put a man, a con man, who can’t get a loan from a US Bank and who is in debt all over the place in charge of the country and told him he didn’t need to show us who he was indebted to.

Some of LeBron’s companies do more due diligence regarding some of his employees then republicans have done on the leader of the free world.

That’s simply incompetent.

Yep. The l’il children in Illinois need to grow up and the Smollett case was the perfect display of that.

Is setting a deadline over rising the constitution? “Can only be president if over 40 and filed paperwork on time?”

the states can set a requirement like this for the ballot. just like they have signature requirements to get on the ballot.

No it isn’t.

1 Like

This won’t fly

No it isnt. Not to throw someone under the bus, but sneakys post is a correct assessment.

Force, you probably need to restate this

I know what Forcefield was tring to say. That’s why my reply was he was trying to compare apples to oranges.

That is eligible to run, that doesn’t have to do with state ballots.

You know each state has their own requirement to get on the ballot right? but this law will likely be thrown out because state don’t regulate individual candidates but party access.

Yeah technically he’s right. I could restate it but frankly I just don’t care very much.

What I will tell you is that is for the states to like or dislike and change or not change. The last thing we want is a central authority telling us how to run our states.

Sooner or later they will get us wrong. We just are not a monolithic country

M

Oooh, Zantax is pretending to care about the Constitution. That’s precious.

I mean, after all - Should Trump refuse to leave office? Would it be unconstitutional? Yep. But ask yourself, what exactly is the alternative, Zantax?

4 Likes