Powerful US attorney who investigated Trump associates refuses to step down after Barr tries to push him out

Harry Daughtery had a lighter touch than this, obscure reference. and he shares with John Mitchell the title of Worst Attorney General Evah.

2 Likes

I wonder if they thought that the fact that Berman was Giuliani’s former partner would be a good thing for them?

hope he testifies on Wed in the House

I absolutely guarantee you that’s why. Without even looking, I’d bet Giuliani recommended him for the job.

These are my favorite…see ya in ten minutes.

…late edit 10 minutes of Wikipedia later: Ha!

Makes absolutely no difference. He serves at the pleasure of the President. The President can fire him any time he wishes. Whether a court appointed him or not is irrelevant to that. What the President under this law can’t do is replace him with a temp, so don’t. Leave the position vacant until a replacement is confirmed. The deputies can handle the office until then.

I think you mean the “wingman”, Eric Holder.

Can you provide me a source for this information?

He was to be replaced by Jay Clayton, the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who many noted has not served as a prosecutor before, Barr said.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/bill-barr-just-fumbled-his-way-into-a-spectacular-showdown-with-a-key-federal-prosecutor/
So, another unqualified appointee. I don’t think US Attorney is an entry-level job.

You’re wrong, and the whole situation is pretty hilarious honestly, because the reason that a committee of federal judges of that district appoint interim USAs is specifically to prevent a presidential administration from derailing the course of justice and replacing them with someone unvetted who will do their bidding.

You can’t just not have a US Attorney. That’s not an option. The deputies cannot because they not be the acting USA.

3 Likes

I see the market for American history remains grim.

3 Likes

If you want to get technical, they couldn’t. You can’t serve as an “acting” while you’re under review by the Senate. Something I remember from a couple years back.

There isn’t one. His last sentence is have a deputy run the office, which is the whole crux of the legal issue. He’s just making it up.

Maybe they should have gotten someone Senate confirmed and they wouldn’t be in this position where they lied about dude resigning and he said no and now they can’t do ■■■■ until the Senate voted on it.

Real eleven dimensional chess.

1 Like

No he cannot.

Because Trump messed up the way he was appointed.

That’s the whole point pf this thread now.

happen to occur to you that perhaps all we have here is communication issue?

Barr announced he will be stepping down, he confirmed he would. Question is when. Did Barr say when?

I don’t know, winging it seems to be working because their supporters clearly don’t know any better and will make up whatever they need to to defend him with no regard for how that will play out in even the near-term future.

Pure BS. The President can fire him whenever he wants. He just can’t name a new “acting”. Simple… don’t.

Did you read Berman’s statement? You night want to familiarize yourself with what’s going on before you start spinning madly.

Barr said he was stepping down immediately. Berman said the first he heard of it was that press release and he wouldn’t step down until the Senate confirmed a replacement.

You just wrong.

1 Like