Poll regarding the meaning of the "heart of the earth" in Matthew 12:40

O The Tomb

O Other

For some reason I can’t click on an option. Not sure if it’s my machine, or the poll itself.

“Other”

Jesus was under ground for 3 nights. Thursday night was in a holding cell in Caiaphas’ palace. That cell was under ground.

But it was not the tomb itself.

The polling mechanism isn’t working.

“other”

… so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

The depths of the earth… in a place of divine awakening for all.
The passage from Matthew reminds me of this passage of the Lotus Sutra. It represents the depths of life itself.

"No sooner had the Lord uttered these words than the Saha-world burst open on every side, and from within the clefts arose many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of Bodhisattvas with gold-coloured bodies and the thirty-two characteristic signs of a great man, who had been staying in the element of ether underneath this great earth, close to this Saha-world. These then on hearing the word of the Lord came up from below the earth. Each of these Bodhisattvas had a train of thousands of Bodhisattvas similar to the sands of sixty Ganges rivers; (each had) a troop, a great troop, as teacher of a troop. Of such Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas having a troop, a great troop, as teachers of a troop, there were hundred thousands of myriads of kotis equal to the sands of sixty Ganges rivers, who emerged from the gaps of the earth in this Saha-world. Much more there were to be found of Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas having a train of Bodhisattvas similar to the sands of fifty Ganges rivers; much more there were to be found of Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas having a train of Bodhisattvas similar to the sands of forty Ganges rivers; Of 30, 20, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Ganges river; of 1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/10, 1/20, 1/50, 1/100, 1/1000, 1/100,000, 1/10,000,000, 1/100 X 10,000,000, 1/1000 X 10,000,000, 1/100 X 1000 X 10,000,000, 1/100 X 1000 X 10,000 X 10,000,000 part of the river Ganges. Much more there were to be found of Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas having a train of many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of Bodhisattvas; of one koli; of one hundred thousand; of one thousand; Of 500; Of 400; Of 300; Of 200; Of 100; Of 50; Of 40; Of 30; Of 20; Of 10; Of 5, 4, 3, 2. Much more there were to be found of Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas having one follower. Much more there were to be found of Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas standing isolated. They cannot be numbered, counted, calculated, compared, known by occult science, the Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas who emerged from the gaps of the earth to appear in this Saha-world. "

----From the Lotus Sutra.

The Greek word gE, tramslated in this text as “earth”, can mean land/country. It is translated land/country in Heb. 11:9 for example.

11:9 Πίστει παρῴκησεν εἰς τὴν γῆν τῆς ἐπαγγελίας ὡς ἀλλοτρίαν ἐν σκηναῖς κατοικήσας μετὰ Ἰσαὰκ καὶ Ἰακὼβ τῶν συγκληρονόμων τῆς ἐπαγγελίας τῆς αὐτῆς·

I choose b) other.

The Son of Man shall be three days and three nights in the heart of the land/country , i.e. on the temple mount, the heart of the land of Judah. Jesus was brought to the temple mount from Gethsemane, opposite the temple mount, in the early hours of Friday morning, the night of the 14th of Nisan; and he ascended off the mount to the Father after daylight on Sunday morning, on the dayligjt hours of the 16th of Nisan, making three days and three nights in the heart of the land, by Jewish inclusive reckoning: one part night, two full nights and two full days, and one part day.

Consider the duration of time the Roman soldiers were assigned to guard the tomb.

On the day of Crucifixion, when the request was made for guards of the tomb, the Chief Priest and Pharisees told Pilate that Jesus had said He would arise after the third day of His death.

Pilate gave them soldiers. The soldiers would not have taken up their post before some time during Jesus’ first day in he tomb.

Since that was Thursday, they would guard the tomb through Saturday, the third day.

Matthew 27

“…the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate 63 and said, “Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, ‘After three days I will rise again.’ 64 Therefore order the sepulchre to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away, and tell the people, ‘He has risen from the dead,’ and the last fraud will be worse than the first.” 65 Pilate said to them, “You have a guard of soldiers; go, make it as secure as you can.” 66 So they went and made the sepulchre secure by sealing the stone and setting a guard.”

I don’t think it was Roman guards. I believe Pilate told the Jews to use their own temple guards. I can’t see the Jewish leaders having the clout with Pilate to keep Roman soldiers safe from their Roman superiors.