Plastic Bag Bans

It’s the grocery store paradigm that existed even before you were born.

It’s just how it’s usually done in most grocery stores.

That’s why 99.9% of consumers expect to walk out with bags.

After having already paid for said plastic bags.

That seems a little high when compared to how many places in the US already ban plastic bags. We’ve had a ban for a while around here and you rarely think about it. I keep an extra bag in my car just in case. They sell these foldable bags you can keep in your purse/backpack/fanny-pack. It’s really no biggie.

The Targets around here not only charge you for plastic bags, they actually give you a discount for bringing your own bags.

I’m really splilt on them. They do take a way jobs, but I also almost always use them because I prefer not having to interact with other humans.

Meanwhile, all the rest of the stores on Earth pay for their plastic bags with markups on the rest of the products, because bags are a part of the service, as it’s always been, as paying customers have come to expect.

In 2007, Wal-Mart paid twenty five hundredths of a cent per plastic bag and marked them up by three hundred percent then spread that cost throughout the store’s inventory.

One can quadruple bag every sack filled with product and the store is still returning a profit on a service provided for the customer’s convenience.

Those customers then take those bags home, and save them for later uses, such as litter, diapers, fluid spills (vomit, chemicals, etc.), picking up after their dog, and a plethora of other uses not limited to simple grocery transport.

The plastic they are made out of is nothing but dust within a 100 years.

But hey, some do-nothing-good narcissist lib out there thinks they’re better for bringing their own bags from home that are pre-inffused with their nasty ass germs and home odors, so the rest of the world should be forced to do everything just like them.

:man_shrugging:

That makes the assumption that most people save these bags to reuse.

What do you base that on? Plastic bags just break down into smaller pieces of plastic and generally takes much longer than 100 years. In addition recycling them is a challenge. Not a lot of people seem to realize this, but most curb-side trash pickup processing places can’t process plastic films (non-rigid plastics) and it can mess up their sorting machines costing lots of money to repair and of course that cost is passed on to consumers.

Has nothing to do with narcissism.

Don’t know a lot of people, eh?

Knowledge of the subject, the same as how I knew the exact cost and markup of the bags.

OK. 95%. Or 75%.

Point still remains the same.

Great nit, though.

This link talks about Trader Joe’s switching to compostable bags. Another link says that these bags are 90% decomposed within 6 months.

And googling around, it looks like lots of retailers are switching to cornstarch-based plastic bags that quickly decompose.

But we all are supposed to set our hair on fire because someone saw plastic bags blowing down the street.

The problem isn’t with the bags. It’s a problem with people littering.

2 Likes

I’ve been alive long enough to know not everyone saves their plastic bags.

Yeah, just most. :wink:

If you’re going to exaggerate than I’m going to nit-pick.

You assume.

Where did you learn plastic bags turn to dust in a 100 years?

No, it’s a fact that any honest person knows. It’s disingenuous at best for people trying to pretend that most households in this country don’t have a plastic bag drawer/cabinet.

They also tend to be on the same narcissist side as the germy self-carry bag people, preaching on a soapbox over why other people shouldn’t have what they themselves choose not to.

:man_shrugging:

By understanding the material it’s made out of.

This isn’t a difficult concept.

:rofl:

Unless you are have done a massive survey, its an assumption.

I understand why you have to take that doubled-down position with such a failed argument as to why other people should use what you do. lol

Time for you to have the last word. :hugs: