Parkland Deputy Charged

Former Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson – who was criticized for how he responded when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – has been charged with 11 counts, including felony child neglect charges, authorities said.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Richard Swearingen insisted after the hearing that Peterson was “technically qualified as a caregiver under statute.”

I’m a little surprised nobody has mentioned this latest development. So the former deputy has been charged. 11 counts.

As you can see, some disagree.

It would seem some want revenge. I’ve never seen a case like this brought against a cop, so I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I will say this, it’s very easy to sit in the bleachers and claim what one would have done. Everybody’s a hero until the nut cuttin’ starts.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. It could significantly change law enforcement. I can’t imagine they’re happy about it.

3 Likes

I’m of two minds. But mostly my second point takes priority.

First. I don’t like the idea of punishing people who don’t do something heroic. So I think any sort of fine a jail or anything like that should be off the table.

Second. I don’t want anyone who is not willing to put their life on the line to save kids serving as a cop. His removal from the police department should be his “sentence”.

2 Likes

Good post. I am of a like mind I believe.

I was beginning to think I had posted this in invisible ink.

1 Like

It didn’t know being lousy at your job was illegal. I have to talk to some people when I get to work today. Lol.

But it seems firing would have been a more appropriate response imo.

I’ve panicked, and I think most if not all people have at one time or other. When you panic one common action is to freeze. I think that is what happened to this guy and I question if he had much if any control over it. How do you punish that?

I was Wrong assuming he was lousy at his job.

What is the point of charging him?

I agree This sets a dangerous precedent. I am a tad conflicted as his job was to protect but I am not sure he should be prosecuted for not running into a shooting.

We are outraged. Somebody has to pay.

2 Likes

If he was a doctor he could be sued for malpractice. There is no such remedy for a police officer.

I agree on both counts. The charge of felony child neglect is pure bull ■■■■■ And the police have no statutory obligation to protect anyone. I think we will find that the AG has political aspirations.

Wow. I’ll be interested in seeing this unfold more.

UPDATE

Florida jury finds former Parkland school resource officer not guilty on all counts

1 Like

Not surprising. He was not the only one who thought the shots were coming from outside the building. But he was the only one who did who had a duty to protect the kids. There was a lot of grief and anger immediately following the massacre … they needed someone to blame.

1 Like

Wait long enough and it all gets better.

1 Like