Panic Attacks - living in fear

I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD HERE BUT FIGURED IT SHOULD BE IT’S OWN.

I started having panic attacks when I was around 20 years old. I’m 60 now and I thought I had it licked but they just started coming back. I think it was the Klonopin that finally helped me - after taking it regularly I could do the simple things that made me panic, like driving down the beltway to see my family, not having my heart race being stuck in traffic.

After taking klonopin for a year or more I was able to stop taking it - I got used to doing the things that scared me. I even drove all the way to the ocean by myself (3 hours away).

In the years that I was stable with the panic attacks I also smoked weed. It calmed me down. I’m pretty sure I always had the strain that calms (sativa vs indica - can’t remember). I even felt relaxed the next day without smoking (I only smoked at night). But the strain I get now is supposedly called sour OG - a mix. This stuff isn’t good for me - I think it started the panic attacks again.

My doctor put me back on klonopin but I am trying to get medical cannabis in MD. I’ve applied to the mmcc and have an appointment with a doctor. I’m thinking if I had something with a high CBD and low THC it would help me.

However, I don’t think panic attacks are an approved condition in Maryland for a prescription. The initial doctor visit will cost me 200.00. I was honest about everything on the form and they accepted the appointment. I am wondering if they are having me come in to get the 200.00 just to tell me I can’t get cannabis in MD for my condition.

I don’t want to go back on the klonopin regularly again so I am crossing my fingers. Life is hell with panic attacks. I just want to live a normal life again.

2 Likes

I understand…I hear you. I had panic attacks (to the point of panic disorder) in highschool. What I was taught in therapy is to identify what thought caused it, and take slow, deep breathes to calm down. For heart palpitations, rub the arteries in your neck. Hope this helps.

I hear that anxiety exists on a continuum, with obsessions and compulsions (and to a lesser extent, panic) at the severe end.

Thanks Flameheart. I get this feeling of disassociation and I can’t even reason in the midst of the attack. I’ve tried so many things it’s ridiculous. Klonopin truly was the miracle drug for me. I just don’t want to have to take it again.

1 Like

“The initial doctor visit will cost me 200.00”

Is this a psychiatrist? And something that isn’t covered by insurance? Or cost with insurance, just out of curiosity? And do you trust the practitioner?

“I don’t want to go back on the klonopin regularl again”

Very little familiarity here with this particular drug. Side effects?

More questions than answers for you, I know, but I do understand to some extent panic attacks. I’m claustrophobic and it’s gotten worse over the years.

I no longer fly anyplace because the minute the all entrances & the cockpit are sealed, I get a real antsy feeling, and God forbid the takeoff is delayed & there isn’t much info coming back, my heart rate shoots up.

At some point, will want to get what may be a final visit with my dad, and wish to see some places in the U S, some of them again, so I’ll need to be on Klonopin or something.

“Life is hell with panic attacks. I just want to live a normal life again.”

Me too.

Not sure why the word for where the pilot sits is a swear word.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No, it’s a cannabis doctor. supposedly legit. Not covered by insurance and I have to pay cash. This is all new to me so I am taking a chance. It seemed strange that they only want cash. I’ll post the results up here after my visit. It’s this Saturday.

Klonopin does not have side effects that I have seen other than making me sleepy.

I had to fly all the time on my last job. I would take 2 1/2 Xanax before the flight and I’d be fine. We flew to Ireland and there was severe turbulence - I slept right through it all. I think klonopin would have done the same thing - just wasn’t on it back then.

I felt the same way on planes - even traffic on the highway when I know there are no exits for a few miles gives me panic. I think that’s claustrophobia. I felt that if anything happened like a heart attack, no one would be able to get to me.

After being on Klonopin regularly - 1 in the morning and 1 at night, I got used to doing things that would usually give me panic. I think I just got so familiar with not feeling panic while on the klonopin that after a whiole it became routine and even without the klonopin I felt safe - in familiar territory - no need to panic.

For the plane situation I would think a lot of drugs would work, valium, Xanax, klonopin, ativan… But for long term heaqling, it was the klonopin that was the miracle drug for me.

I remember how happy I was when I was able to drive all the way to the ocean without any panic. A far cry from when I had to always carry around a glass of water and had to have someone walk me home from the pool that was right across the street. God I was a mess.

I hope you find relief.

Funny thing is you would probably get away with calling it the penis pit. :slight_smile:

Oops - guess not