Only 30% of today's young adults are "'qualified" to serve in the military?

Fact, Obesity has become rampant in our youth over the last 30 years. You can’t get in the service if you are obese.

Fact, We have millions of young people with felony records due to gang/drug dealing and trafficking/gun convictions., you can’t get in the service with a felony record.

Doubt the facts if you like but they are still facts.

Agreed, but what % in decades past were not qualified? Without knowing that we don’t know how significant 30% is.

You aren’t grasping this simple cognitive fact.

Easy and cheap money has driven the price up.

I was paying about 1,250 a semester for tuition/fees in the late eighties/early nineties at a very good state school here in Texas.

Today it’s over twice that for 12hrs and I was taking 15-18hrs per semester.

Whatever that percentage was today it’s much higher due to the factors I mentioned above which is what you aren’t grasping apparently.

Why are you trying to create an argument where none exists? I have not mentioned anything about the political make up of colleges.

College education has its place in an overall education strategy as much as a technical trade or apprenticeship.

Though now you bring up the topic, my two daughters are in college as are my girlfriends children. They go to a mixture of private and state universities and we see none of the SJW bias you claim. They see just as much political activity from young Republicans and conservatives as they do from the left. But that sort of balanced environment doesnt make for good Fox News and Briebart headlines so they always find the most extreme example possible.

Again I never argued that it does not. I know quite a few young people that have gone into the military not for an lofty ideals of patriotism or defending the constitution but because they can get a quality education without bankrupting themselves. I know at least two of those that absolutely love being part of the military and I suspect will be there for a long term and others that do a perfectly good job but being part of the military is just one part of their overall life plan.

Two great routes to getting a great education which I heartily endorse - join the military or get a job with an employer that has a healthy education reimbursement plan. My employer reimburses $5,000 a year for higher education. That has paid for my associates and bachelors degree and will go a long way to paying for my masters. My out of pocket for the masters at the institution my employer partners with will be around $1,000 a year with my employer picking up the rest of the cost.

If I was 18 again I would definitely use the Army or other branch of the military to get an education.

If you has actually read my post you linked to(:roll_eyes:see above) you would know I do grasp it.

Lets say it is larger, but by how much??? Is a lot considering other factors may have fallen over the decades. How much have qualifications risen/lowered over the decades.

Some sort of context is all I’m curious about. Not sure why you’re getting all defensive.

What I’m telling you is if you dropped out and got drafted, you had a 30% chance of being sent to Vietnam.

I’m not talking about college. The Army will teach you exactly how to do whatever job you are assigned.

But you agree they drafted people without HS grad or GED mid-late 60’s

Good Lord. In the 60s and 70s only 5 to 7 percent of US children were obese.

You want me to look up how stupid they were too?

Of course. And people with college degrees after deferments ran out.

And they will again if they have to draft.

Only the ones too stupid they couldn’t graduate with their high school class.

77% graduated in the 60s. Anything else?

So, after denying they admitted non-HS grads/nonGED…now you’re admitting they did admit HS drop outs.

Yes, but back then, a HS drop out could join the army(be drafted), not today.

What the hell are you on about? I didn’t deny any such thing.

You seem to think the 30% not qualified has something to do with education. It doesn’t. Currently 90% of those 25 and older have a diploma or GED.

The 30% not qualified are because they can’t meet the physical requirements or they’re ■■■■■■■ jail birds or crazy.

If there’s another draft, that 30% will drop to 2% overnight.

You really don’t know anything about this. Go sign up for 3 and get an education.

Maybe you can join next month. It changes based on the needs of the service.

The conversation above sure seems like you did say just such a thing.

I said they took non-HS grad and you said ‘’…and you were wrong’’

Look, you can rationalize what you’ve said however you want. Anyone that wants to read your posts above will see for themselves. There’s more farther back.

No, you said this:

Back then being semi literate but breathing was acceptable.

You just quoted it.

And by the way, it’s “semi-literate”. The judges would have also accepted “semiliterate”.