One and only Kavenaugh Hearings Thread (part 1)

Ok, when was the trial, conviction, and jail time?

Just like what happened with Clarence Thomas…another back-ground check.

Yes, it is…

Women rarely are.

Doubt the FBI would have done much investigation.

Don’t have a house (she doesn’t know the owner)
Don’t have a specific date (MAYBE summer of '82)
Don’t have a reason for the party (She doesn’t remember the reason they were partying)
She can only name two people there (supposedly in the room) and one person only as PJ
She never told anyone from 1982 until 2012
She never documented it from 1982 until 2012

Not a whole lot for the FBI to go on. FBI may have interviewed her, Kavanaugh and Judge informally. Then put the note and findings in the file for the committee to review.

As opposed to refusing to hold hearings at all in 2015-16…The GOP opened this Pandora’s Box…how do they like it now?

No, no it’s not.

Then you are definitely in support of the FBI doing a full investigation…right?

So you too are for a full investigation. Ok.

So far he refuses to.

You must be referring to Garland. That actually took place in 2016, as Scalia passed away February 15, 2016. That has already been beat to death.

She should have went to local law enforcement 36 years ago, when the event allegedly occurred. That is how the legal system is set up. It’s nuts to try and litigate a crime 36 years later.

A full investigation into what? Was there crime reported?

Some of what you write are not facts in evidence (e.g., she never told anyone until 2012 - that’s not a certainty). Which is the point: little to go on, or not, the FBI would be tasked with doing as much investigation as could be done. There is absolutely no reason for standard FBI procedure to be short-circuited.

About what? The things I’m saying? Yes. The things you say I’m saying but I’m not? Not at all.

It seems like you’re not really paying attention to my words very well. You keep arguing things I’m not and you’re forcing me to point this out.

The judiciary committee is not a court.

I never said such a thing, it is blatantly dishonest to say I did, and on top of that you then targetted me with your false claim that I said the thing you made up to then assert “people like you”. You should correct this false claim and targeted post or delete it.

That is the accusers own words.

It’s SOP for an FBI background investigation: investigate any reports, accusations, and the like. (And yes, this accusation is an accusation of what would be a criminal act.) It’s like some people think this is all new territory, unprecedented, or something. Including the Clown King, who claimed that background investigations aren’t really the FBI’s thing.

Are they look to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? What exactly would be the legal standard of this investigation?

No it’s not and it shouldn’t be treated as such with every alleged witness, cross examinations and the like.

But even in a hearing like this, the presumption should be on innocence.

2 Likes

This is what should happen…follow the tract that George HW Bush followed after the Anita Hill Allegations. Put it to rest one way or another.

cnn.com – 17 Sep 18

Supreme Court nominee faces sexual assault allegation: Live updates

President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is facing an accusation of sexual assault, threatening to derail his lifetime nomination to the highest court in the land. See the latest.

As Christine Blasey Ford’s lawyers insist the FBI investigate her claims of sexual assault against Brett Kavanaugh, here is a look back at how the FBI investigation into Anita Hill’s sexual harassment allegations against Clarence Thomas came about.

• Clarence Thomas underwent his initial hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee in early September 1991.
  • Anita Hill says she spoke with the Judiciary Committee in “early September,” and that an FBI investigation was suggested to her on Sept. 20, 1991 .
  • On Sept. 23, 1991 , allegations of harassment were brought to the attention of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which immediately informed the White House, according to a statement from then-deputy press secretary Judy Smith.
  • Upon learning of the allegations , the White House “promptly directed the FBI to conduct a full, thorough and expeditious investigation,” according to the statement.
  • Three days later, on Sept. 26, 1991 , the FBI completed its investigation, and a report was submitted to the White House and the Judiciary Committee. The White House deemed the allegations “unfounded.”
  • On Oct. 6, 1991 , Nina Totenberg of NPR obtained a copy of the FBI report and reported on the allegations, the first time the public became aware of the story.
  • On Oct. 11, 1991, Hill begins her testimony during Thomas’ Senate confirmation hearing.