Once again, Californians slit their own wrists, and in the process screw over the whole country

Let them eat Kale.

2 Likes

Putting 250 hogs into a space that is currently used to hold 300 doesn’t sound terribly onerous to me. So the price of pork goes up 20 cents a pound or something.

Yes, the Cal dems are going to make the entire country poorer and hungrier, and cause pork production to go to china…

That’s what they do

Maybe we ought to revisit that “don’t eat your own species” thing. I read somewhere that people taste like pork. :wink:

No big deal to those who can afford it. But those barely making ends meet might have a problem.

As is always the case, LIB policies are more likely to impact those most vulnerable; the very people LIBs claim to care about.

Maybe. Or maybe producers stop shipping pork to CA, thereby increasing the supply elsewhere and lowering the price.

The alternative is grossly overcrowded farming practices. I have never supported that and I don’t care to start now. I grew up with family type farms, several in my own family, which were just fine, with animals that were well cared for.

The alternative is to take big government interference out of the equation.

Great, even more overcrowding. Corporate America proves on a daily basis it cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

2 Likes

And that is exactly the point. Who gets to decide what is the right thing to do? You? Activists? Big Government? How about the consumer?

In a perfect world the consumer. Perfect it ain’t. I’m not a big regulator but some is necessary. Not California style, I have not defended them, so take note of that.

Except the people voted for it. 63-37% margin. You don’t see margins like that these days.

in LIB dominated California you do. The well to do are the most vocal, leaving the very poorest amongst them vulnerable to their WOKE agenda.

1 Like

Actually, the voters of Calif did exactly that. They said they don’t want bacon from pigs raised a certain way.

The question now is whether they will be willing to pay for the fallout of that vote. (Or if they will be willing to forego bacon because of it. Or if the rest of the country will have to bear the cost of their personal preferences.)

The results remain to be seen.

1 Like

Looks like California might blink first:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/will-new-bacon-law-begin-california-grocers-restaurants-seek-delay/ar-AARJJJ7?li=BBnb7Kz

Apparently the State has already twitched, if not fully blinked:

" … the state has eased the transition to the new system. It has allowed pork processed under the old rules and held in cold storage to be sold in California in 2022, which could prevent shortages for weeks or even months. "

2 Likes

Hooray!!

1 Like

I support happier pigs. But Californians could just refuse to buy from farmers who don’t share their sense of decency. That would put power where it belongs … in the hands of the people. Bringing in new government regulations when other solutions are available is always a bad bad idea.

1 Like

I think that’s what Califs did – in their own way. They just need their govt to tell them which pigs are happier when they get slaughtered.

Now the new “transition” system will mean that next Christmas califs will still be getting bacon that has been deep-frozen since 2021.

Did you all see that Newsom is planning to use the Texas abortion law as a model for a gun control law?

He is slitting everybody’s wrists with that one. I sure wish he’d leave it alone

1 Like

The difference is - of course - one is a constitutionally protected right, explicitly written in English in the constitution and the other is a right written on a unicorn’s horn in progville.

1 Like