Once again, Californians slit their own wrists, and in the process screw over the whole country

Well, first of all, the fact that the regs haven’t been finalized, so that producers don’t know how to comply is inexcusable.

But, let us pretend the tegs are complete and ready to go.

Dem response? I would expect compliance. Perhaps with some governmental help if expensive renovations are required.

Corporate welfare?

I was thinking more along the lines of low interest loans, but yes.

I do think that if the government enacts new regulations, they should also help companies to come into compliance if it is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Just making sure. That used to be a bad thing.

Well it still is, or can be.

I believe that we should stop subsidizing oil companies, for example.

Oh good, it’s at least still a selective opinion.

1 Like

Killed for food has the same end result.

You get to live for another day regardless of how it gets into your belly.

Good grief. I haven’t done that in awhile. I have pork tenderloins in the freezer I should thaw and put on the pellet grill.

Thanks for planting that one in my head :angry: :rofl:

2 Likes

There is no reason to treat animals poorly before they are eaten.

Well other than profit margin that is.

1 Like

Except that you can afford to make sure what is on your plate is treated humanely before you consume it.

People in California will pay more for pork assuming the new regulations increase the cost of production.

The rest of the country may see lower pork prices in the short run since a lot of pork that now goes to California will have be sold somewhere else. In the long run it probably will not make much difference to the rest of country.

Californians in the big coastal cities now pay over $4/gallon for gas along with some of the highest rents and highest taxes in the country. High pork prices is just one more reason to leave.

I know I can.

I addressed that previously

I’ll send you the recipe next time I make it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Already answered:

Again … sorry. :man_shrugging:

Which government? USA? Or California State government? (I would endorse the latter, since that’s the entity that precipitated this issue.)

Maybe the foundational question should be the definition of what “poorly” means.

There is some low hanging fruit… like never having the space to ever move.

Ideally, yes. But I’d also accept a state/federal partnership

Out of control LIB activists strike again. Sad thing is the wealthy will be able to adjust, while the most vulnerable in California will simply have to go without.

I’m so glad I don’t live in California because I sure do love my bacon, and pork ribs and…

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/bacon-disappear-california-pig-rules-effect-79189119

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

Sounds like the farmers were channelling their inner ostrich with their heads in the sand.