On this day in 1980

I grew up in a very strict household and somehow had this on my wall, along with the very bland Van Halen and AC/DC posters :joy:

1 Like

No kidding? I am jealous.

They arenā€™t coming to my town, nor anywhere close, really. BUT Iā€™ve never seen them live. So I am debating the road trip.

I have seen Diamond live though.

Run to The Hills. Another important milestone in my young life.

I was little when I saw that video in a Radio Shack (!?). Once again, totally blown away-especially by Bruce with his spiked gauntlets and long hair. It definitely looks kind of silly now, but back then? Hoo boy. The coolest thing I had ever seen.

So I spent the next coupla years thinking about that video, and wondering about the band. I finally was able to by Powerslave and Beast (on record of course-better to see those awesome album covers), and was suitably blown away.

I found the records confusing, though. Especially Beast. Roger Whittaker didnā€™t sing about The Omen! What was The Prisoner about? ABBA had no songs about prostitutes. What in the heck is going on here?

Loved every minute of it though

1 Like

As I recall, he was planning a tour too.

What?..you donā€™t consider this subversive?

1 Like

Dickinson could sing his ass off. Crazy range.

1 Like

I was so young, I wouldnā€™t have understood subversive if it bit me in the butt.

22 Acacia Avenue was a bit more straightforward, but also confusing to a youngster with only the vaguest understanding of what prostitution even was.

Yup. Heā€™s still quite good, but obviously he has lost a bit due to age.

A favorite idle past time: who was the best metal singer? Halford? Dickinson? Dio? Someone else?

Dio is on the top of my list with Dickinson, Halford, and Glenn Danzig in his prime. All awesome frontmen. Other favorites are:

Michael Kiske of Helloween
Geoff Tate of Queensryche
Ray Alder of Fates Warning

1 Like

All of those, plus Iā€™d throw in Geoff Tate and Dave Mustaine as well. Halford and Dio are tied for first for me.

1 Like

Ah. A bite. :grinning:

Seriously though: I would throw all of those into contention, especially Alder. But I would definitely bracket Tate: he tries too hard, and knows heā€™s good, so he comes off as pretentious. And that ainā€™t metal.

Iā€™m gonna give you one now that gets laughed out of the room every time, but who I think really deserves a look:

Eric Adams of Manowar.

Now that you have finished laughing, hear me out: I know Manowar is really kind of a joke. They take themselves way too seriously. But if you put that aside and give him/them an honest listen? His talent is undeniable.

Mustaine? I dunno. He wasnā€™t bad, but I donā€™t think heā€™s in the same class.

But having said that, if a snarl could sing, itā€™d sound like Dave Mustaine.

1 Like

Dude, I said Glenn Danzig. Talk about someone who takes himself too seriouslyā€¦ No need to justify adding Manowar to the list. :rofl:

1 Like

You are the first person ever to take my suggestion of Manowar seriously. :slightly_smiling_face:

Danzig comes out of punk, and from what I understand is just a jerk. And violent, too.

But also, apparently cursed with a glass jaw :laughing:

Iā€™ve been a Glenn Danzig super-fan for a long time which stems from growing up on Elvis and Roy Orbison. In his prime his voice was awesome. The Misfits, Samhain, and the first 4 Danzig records are untouchable in my book.

Heā€™s a performer. The whole schtick is part of that and he takes it seriously, but Iā€™ve always had positive run-ins with him. When heā€™s relaxed heā€™s pretty cool. He can be a dick in interviews but again, thatā€™s the act. And yesā€¦ he did get knocked outā€¦ once, just onceā€¦

1 Like

Just for perspective, here is the original guitar riff style Randy was learning.

From March 1968ā€¦

Ah, the mighty Jimmy Page.

1 Like

Hereā€™s just the other dayā€¦

Ozzy replaced by Kaitlyn --just kidding