Old Testament vs, Hebrew Bible Here is a small but profound difference I just came across

Old Testament vs, Hebrew Bible Here is a small but profound difference I just came across

In “What is the Difference between the Old Testament, the Tanakh, and the Hebrew Bible?”
by Amy-Jill Levine, (Vanderbilt Divinity School,) there is a little nugget that was somewhat mind-blowing. The books of the Old Testament are the same books as those in the Hebrew bible, but they are arranged differently.
https://www.bibleodyssey.org/tools/bible-basics/what-is-the-difference-between-the-old-testament-the-tanakh-and-the-hebrew-bible.aspx

Who cares? What’s the difference? Apparently college professors do.

Levine wrote:

*“Readers of the Old Testament know that it ends with the Prophets; the last book is Malachi, who predicts Elijah’s return before the “day of the Lord” . . . .

Tanakh readers know that . . . . the last words fall to King Cyrus of Persia . . . . “Any one of you of all His people … let him go up” (JPS)—that is, go home.”*

Wow. How subtle but profound a difference.

• The Tanakh ends, in effect saying “Now after reading all these pages, you see that you have another chance at building Israel. What are you going to do with it?

• By contrast, the Old Testament ends, in effect saying “Now after all these pages, KNOW that the Messiah is coming. Are you ready?”

Same story, two different endings. Big difference. Let that sink in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you mind telling me where you found those passages? I didn’t see them in the reference you posted?

We (some of us) believe the last OT prophet with inspiration from God to prophesy and write was Malachi.

Many books were written in those 400 years between Malachi and the birth of Christ and the inspired writers of the New Covenant Scripture but I cannot have confidence that they are from God, though they may be true.

Malachi’s ending from the Septuagint/LXX, Ending of Old Covenant Scripture:

"And, behold I will send to you Elias the Thesbite before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes; who shall turn again the heart of the father to the son, and the heart of a man to his neighbour, lest I come and smite the earth grievously’

Remember the law of my servant Moses, accordingly as I charged him with it in Choreb for all Israel, even the commandments and ordinances." Malachi 4:3-4

The ending of the New Covenant Scripture, RSV

“He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.” Revelation 22:20-21