Oklahoma carries out another unconstitutional execution

of course it doesnt at all

it should be fast and effective

leftist standards of decency have devolved as of late, so there is that.

1 Like

I disagree. There are crimes that are worthy of execution. That guy in Denver who kill his wife and 2 daughters is one prime example.

that devalues human life

I’ve never understood why small-government conservatives support the government literally killing people.

Evolving stands of decency.

You might be fast and effective but don’t pass the evolving standards of decency.

Allan

I have never wavered on this. If you are going to execute people. And SCOTUS allows it.

Just use a decent method and don’t torture the doomed, the state of Texas for all of its failings does executions right.

Allan

I support the death penalty but my standards are extremely high.

There must absolutely be no doubt. The current standard is beyond a reasonable doubt. For me that’s not good enough.

So for now I am effectively anti capital punishment because the system doesn’t match my standard of absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

unlikely

Yes, our justice system is fallible and probably always will be, and of course the death penalty is final–mistakes can’t be corrected. Executing people doesn’t make society safer, and government shouldn’t be in the revenge business.

1 Like

On a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the midst of the French Revolution the revolting citizens led a priest, a drunkard and an engineer to the guillotine. They ask the priest if he wants to face up or down when he meets his fate. The priest says he would like to face up so he will be looking towards heaven when he dies. They raise the blade of the guillotine and release it. It comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck. The authorities take this as divine intervention and release the priest.

The drunkard comes to the guillotine next. He also decides to die face up, hoping that he will be as fortunate as the priest. They raise the blade of the guillotine and release it. It comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck. Again, the authorities take this as a sign of divine intervention, and they release the drunkard as well.

Next is the engineer. He, too, decides to die facing up. As they slowly raise the blade of the guillotine, the engineer suddenly says, “Hey, I see what your problem is …”

3 Likes

ha lol yeah as an engineer i can relate to this

Not as base as executing an innocent person.

The execution of one innocent person is one too many.

I’m only for the death penalty in particularly evil, heinous crimes. Murder and rape are two. Treason and terrorism as well. And I think that’s probably it.

From what I have gathered, a death penalty sentence must be agreed upon unanimously by a peer jury, in a criminal court, in a public setting, after a judge gives the option. There are few crimes where it is legal to pull out execution as an option.

The death penalty IS within Constitutional bounds, as long as it is within DUE PROCESS as per the 6th amendment. That means with a speedy and public trial, and the full process of investigation, prosecution, and sentencing is adhered to.

every system has anomalies

I agree.

1 Like

Where are the family’s feelings mentioned in the 8th Amendment? Where does it say this must be considered?