Oklahoma carries out another unconstitutional execution

The cruel punishment amendment is number 8 on the hit parade.

Allan

I agree. But was it intentional? That’s where the idea of crime comes in. They knew what they were doing and the effect it was going to have.

Doesn’t matter.

Cruel punishment is unconstitutional.

Allan

That’s what I would certainly prefer, personally. Last one that I recall happened in 2010.

1 Like

with none of the language that you prescribe

oh well huh

astounding how closely adherent to the letter of the constitution over select things isnt it?

1 Like

This is one of a laundry list of reasons I’m 90+% against the death penalty.

It appears to be a violation of the 8th Amendment, which forbids cruel & unusual punishment.

Where exactly in the Eighth Amendment are the victims even mentioned?

It firbids cruel & unusual punishment. Here are five methods available in the U S, I hope everyone will excuse me while I vomit:

Here’s the Eighth:

https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-8/

IIRC a former Kentucky governor was a physician by profession. As a death penalty supporter, as Governor of Kentucky, Ernest Fletcher ceded his medical license.

I find physicians participating in executions, whether looking for suitable veins or monitoring vital signs, rather disturbing, for lack of a better term.

It wouldn’t break my heart to see this dated form of punishment end.

I don’t recall us ever agreeing before, but on this we are in accord. The death penalty should be banned permanently.

I would think another consideration would be the knowledge that people have been executed who were innocent.

Cruel AND Unusual punishment.

That some offences are so henious that they warrant a death sentence is NOT Cruel AND Unusual.
That you might experience a little pain with being put to death is NOT Cruel AND Unusual.

Yet they didn’t think it was Cruel AND Unusual to have the death penalty written right in the constitution for Treason. Not to mention they didn’t think it was Cruel AND Unusual that a person be hanged from the neck until dead.

Hanged from the neck until dead.

That wasn’t unconstitutional when they passed the constitution.
Death penalty is right in the constitution for treason.

If hellish humans convicted of hellish crimes were not released into the population to kill, rape, and destroy the lives of others, I’d say end the death penalty. But the misguided actions of a few judges are releasing known criminals and those criminals are ruining the lives of more innocents. Better to remove them from humanity.

SCOTUS ruled evolving standards in the 50s.

Allan

Evolving standards of decency.

Is that so hard to figure out.

Allan

It is the most efficient way to do it. There’s no way to screw it up.

France used it until 1979 when they banned capital punishment.

2 Likes

has nothing to do with my post

quite right. it is pretty foolproof

Of course it does your suggestion is against evolving standards of decency.

Allan