Ocasio-Cortez and her magic trains

Here’s the actual text of the proposal: “…overhauling transportation systems in the United States to remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; clean, affordable and accessible public transit; and high-speed rail.”

Nowhere in the proposal does it say that air travel will be eliminated. It does reference public transit and high-speed rail. The first is being done as municipalities are converting their public transportation to low-emission and emission free vehicles. And your “magic energy” reference is so bogus. The proposal references high-speed rail which has been designed including the energy sources. So both of your comments are absolutely false.

What is needed is an alternative. So far, there is none. Before we go crazy with this, I would like to take one city such as Washington or San Francisco and use them as the example. No internal combustion engines, no fossil fuels, no coal. Try it on a smaller scale and see how it works out. I don’t think we have any viable alternatives at this point. Somebody should develop one. AOC want’s to wish it into existence.

All these assumptions are incorrect. The goal is renewable and carbon neutrality. That you think this requires x y or z demonstrates a lack of imagination. And note, she does not claim that every technology is available (although much of it is) but it should be a big priority for us to develop the technology necessary where it is necessary.

Unfortunately, after about 30 years of hemming, hawing and trying to pretend the problem doesn’t existed now means we don’t have time for baby steps.

It will still take local rail to make the economics work. Although I’m not sure any rail works economically.

Then it simply won’t happen. People are not going to give up their cars until they have something better to replace them with. They won’t do it ever. You must make it financially worth it to people or they won’t get behind it. It’s a non starter then. Dead in the water.

I have always believed that nature works in a very logical way. Fossil fuels are basically a “starter motor” for all of us. As we advance in technology we begin to use renewable sources of energy. I believe that the timing is so we a fully dependent on renewable energy by the time the finite supply of fossil fuel runs out. And the Trump administration has already taken steps in the elimination of regulations that automatically causes the use of fossil fuels to increase. Thereby the timetable just got moved up. You are correct that we do not have the time for baby steps.

Sadly, I think you’re right. No one cares about the future if it were to result in the slightest bit of inconvenience in the future. It’s the same ideology which results in massive tax cuts (primarily for the benefit of the wealthy) in the face of insurmountable debt.

Now, government could enact policies which would make it financially advantageous to reduce carbon emissions, which is part of what Cortez is talking about. But she’s stupid so who cares, right?

If they’re going to do this, then they need to move on it. Nancy needs to make this a priority. If they focus on the punishment angle which they have been leaning towards, nobody is going to go for it.

Politically it’s a bad idea unless you can reach people to get them to understand the magnitude of the problem.

This, I believe, is why there’s the laser focus on attempting to destroy AOC. They fear her ability to communicate. So they have to neutralize her by making people associate her with stupid or crazy when she’s neither.

As far as AOC is concerned. There is nothing to destroy. She has no record of accomplishing anything beyond winning an election. But she is fun to poke fun at. The media loves her and gives her a lot of face time. But tp this point, her accomplishments in congress are about the same as yours.

Nothing to destroy? Then how is it that the conservative media has been covering her so extensively despite having no record? They’re not doing it for “fun”.

My friend, there is reason she’s gets so much attention from the right. It’s really disgusting too because it’s so obvious.

That’s always been a conundrum for public transport. It’s not much use to ride a train for miles only to arrive miles from your destination with no supporting public transport to fill the gap.

People like AOC want to develop a European style train system. They forget those systems grew organically over centuries. I haven’t seen how their pushing through this artificial solution is any help. The Calif. debacle is a good example. The decision to go through the middle of the state, where there was more minimal population, but cheaper, available land started that whole thing off the rails(pun :grin:) from the very beginning. Gov. Newsome is to be commended for having the stones for axing the whole thing.

High speed maglev trains in the Northeast and mid Atlantic states would be amazing.

It would turn everything from Boston to DC into a single urban area.

I thought Disney pointed the way 60 years ago. Don’t even have to buy more land. Just build over existing tracks.

:question::question::question:

Disneyland Monorail - 1959.

Yes, just look around at 100,000 of miles of monorails lines everywhere. It’s been so successful.

/s :sunglasses:

I said he pointed the way, I didn’t say we followed him.

Because she’s basically a side show. She’s like a new toy. I think people will get bored with her after a few months when the shininess wears off. She’s even starting to wear down the democratic leadership. We’ll see.