NYC's Democrat Leadership will allow foreign nationals to vote in city elections

I am not entitled, I work hard and pay taxes, same as you.

I am resentful of the conservative belief that nobody needs help, and everybody who accepts it is a freeloader.

1 Like

There was nothing in the quote that indicated an attitude of “nobody needs help, and everybody who accepts it is a freeloader.”

That you extrapolated someone’s observation on how their life was panning out to a general putdown of others who have less, questions more your mindset than it does theirs.

1 Like

That is the general conservative attitude, don’t even try to deny it, we all know it to be true.

I don’t even know where this is coming from. I said those pandemic payments actually helped people, and got back your nonsense about hard work.

Conservative give more if their take home pay to the needy than liberals. So you are wrong.
Giving to the needy through government wastes a lot of the money supposedly taken for the needy.

1 Like

They helped some. They crippled many others.

1 Like

See? There’s always a catch.

Also, you’re wrong. The biggest ‘takers’ in our system are red states.

Oh yeah? Please provide examples of those “crippled”. :roll_eyes:

Those who did not go back to work because the welfare was more and who will find their jobs have disappeared or been taken by the new cohort of illegals once the welfare stops.

1 Like

But what about those who couldn’t go back to work because their industry shut down?

Your problem is that you look at everything through the conservative aperture, and just don’t deign to consider real life.

If the government shut their businesses down and they are available for work elsewhere but can’t find it, the government owes them.

If there is work they can do to meet their needs, but they won’t take it, they are lazy.

And there it is. Nobody is in need, they are just lazy.

The pandemic devastated the service industry. They went months without work.

But you don’t care. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: the takers, right?

You⁰ and I don’t even speak the same language. I speak compassion, you⁰ speak selfishness, inflected by greed.

⁰collectively speaking.

Getting back to the subject of the thread . . .

The astonishing fact is, allowing foreigners to vote in NYC’s elections is tantamount to denying NYC’s citizens’ their right to vote as indicated by our very own Supreme Court:

“[T]he right of suffrage can be denied by a debasement or dilution of the weight of a citizen’s vote just as effectively as by wholly prohibiting the free exercise of the franchise.” Reynolds v. Sims, 377 U. S. 533, 555 (1964).”

Why is there such a desire by some in NYC to suddenly ignore our country’s naturalization process under which “immigrants” had to earn the right to vote in our elections by passing its Civics and English test, among other things?

Additionally, the un-American notion of allowing foreigners to vote in local elections which effects local public policy can have a devastating effect beyond that local jurisdiction and affect the lives of American citizens in surrounding communities and States. Simply consider the consequences, including deaths, suffered by American citizens in surrounding jurisdictions related to local public polices in sanctuary cities where illegal entrants are allowed to roam free.

Allowing 800,000 foreign nationals to vote in NYC’s election is more than enough of a vote to determine the outcome of NYC’s next election and would, in fact, infringe upon the suffrage right of NYC citizens by diluting and canceling out their vote.

Keep in mind in NYC’s last election, Eric Adams won the Mayoral election with a total of 754,000 votes, which is less than the 800,000 foreigners being allowed to now vote in NYC.

The sickening truth about allowing foreigners to vote in local elections is, when acts of corruption infect an electoral process in one jurisdiction “they transcend mere local concern and extend a contaminating influence into the national domain.” Justice DOUGLAS in United States v. Classic (1941)”.

On a closing note, let us not forget the wisdom of Justice Story:

“If aliens might be admitted indiscriminately to enjoy all the rights of citizens at the will of a single state, the Union might itself be endangered by an influx of foreigners, hostile to its institutions, ignorant of its powers, and incapable of a due estimate of its privileges.” – Joseph Story

JWK

The Democrat Party Leadership, once an advocate for hard working American citizens and their families, is now their most formidable domestic enemy.

You cut off the rest of what he said.

He did qualify that with “If there is work they can do to meet their needs, but they wont take it”. How do you derive “Nobody is in need” from that ?

1 Like

Veering off topic, I believe neither too far to the left or right is good.

However, the same idea you cite as repulsive I feel the same way.

Here’s a favorite of mine. I see it every so often on social media by some holier than thou:

“Cut welfare, not social security. We worked for our money.”

■■■■ that holier than thou ■■■■■

There are individuals and families working jobs that don’t pay much, or their hours got reduced, or they got the bad end of a divorce and are only asking for some temporary help.

Then they accuse those rejecting the conservative movement of having a welfare state or plantation mentality.

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Am I the only one here not understanding how allowing U S residents to vote takes away that privilege from citizens?

Let’s see, my neighbors are U S residents from India, and they vote in local elections, so that means I can’t? Or my vote is canceled by theirs?:thinking:

What a bizarre idea, sort of along the lines of Adam & Steve can now get married, so that makes heterosexual couples less married.

What bizarre ideas.

Blue people in red states.

2 Likes

That has been explained HERE.

Did you miss what the Supreme Court has stated?

Why do you have a problem with foreigners earning the right to vote by going through our nation’s naturalizations process, part of which is passing its Civics and English test, and taking our Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America?

JWK

“If aliens might be admitted indiscriminately to enjoy all the rights of citizens at the will of a single state, the Union might itself be endangered by an influx of foreigners, hostile to its institutions, ignorant of its powers, and incapable of a due estimate of its privileges.” – Joseph Story

No, you are not the only one. I bet 100 years ago people were similar things about women’s suffrage.

Let’s give each republican 10 votes apiece. You would still be able to vote so in your mind, you have lost nothing. Ok?

1 Like

Fortunately, our system is governed by the rule of law as adopted by “We the People” (our constitutions, state and federal), and they allow for change to accommodate changing times, but only in a prescribed manner, e.g., see Article V of our federal constitution which involves consent of the governed.

Are either of you embracing ignoring the rule of law to allow foreigners to vote in our elections, federal, state or local?

JWK

"The Constitution is the act of the people, speaking in their original character, and defining the permanent conditions of the social alliance; and there can be no doubt on the point with us, that every act of the legislative power contrary to the true intent and meaning of the Constitution, is absolutely null and void. ___ Chancellor James Kent, in his Commentaries on American Law , 1858.

1 Like