Not Yours To Give

Davey Crockett.

"Mr. Speaker - I have as much respect for the memory of the deceased, and as much sympathy for the suffering of the living, if suffering there be, as any man in this house, but we must not permit our respect for the dead or our sympathy for a part of the living to lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. I will not go into an argument to prove that Congress has no power to appropriate this money as an act of charity.

https://www.nhccs.org/crocket.html

Interesting story. Rand Paul and the Ukraine charity vote comes to mind.

8 Likes

Why should the government have 40 billion dollars to give to Ukraine in the first place?

12 Likes

From the article; Every member upon this floor knows it. We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar of the public money.

Wow…these two mindsets still exist. All of those with the invisible “V” on their foreheads pushing for our government to cut the checks, instead of they themselves putting their own money and resources where their mouth is. I guess some things just don’t change. Thanks Davey Crockett…I’m with you.

9 Likes

If they’ve got that much money, we need a tax cut.

6 Likes

Dems and their neocons seem to love endless wars and chaos. This is the new Syria and Libya.

2 Likes

Republicans love it equally as the Democrats.

Very rarely to you see a National Defense Authorization Act pass on narrow partisan margins.

No.

Generally the NDAA passes unanimously or with extremely broad bipartisan support.

Both parties are in love with the military-industrial complex and both push for the wars and other ■■■■■■■■ necessary to justify its existence.

They may differ on WHICH wars and certain details, but at the core, they are all warmongers.

9 Likes

True, Except for Trump and a few others… Trump was Peace and Prosperity instead of War and Poverty!

7 Likes
Mod Note

Not an election fraud thread. Not a Trump thread.

We haven’t won a single war yet this entire century.

We can’t even leave right.

5 Likes

I can’t deny that and it’s unfortunate that Paul’s position is now completely the fringe and less are elected like him that are not warmongers.

3 Likes

Charity is neighbor helping neighbor. Government social programs are cash for votes, dressed up as caring. And as with any government spending, rife for fraud and abuse.

10 Likes

Hey, hey, hey…we are giving away free weapons, around the world, at our tax payers’ expense, that will have to be paid by babies that haven’t even been born yet, so our military industrial complex can resupply and make billions and billions and billions…then donate some back to those they want reelected and the corrupt circle of life is complete.

Do you see me now Grasshopper? :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass: :+1:

5 Likes

And our government is currently working behind the scenes to make it much more difficult for them to leave, is pressuring countries to drop their investor class citizenship.

6 Likes

11 Likes
5 Likes

Best part at the end, why not a loan isnstead of a gift if you simply must play Russian roulette with Russia?

5 Likes

What they all are, more than anything, are profiteers.

2 Likes

Very true. Obama was as blood thirsty as the best of them. God bless him for being such a dedicated warmonger.

2 Likes

For every ideology motivated individual there are 1,000 motivated by the potential for material gain.

3 Likes

Liar. You gave my money to your drunk-assed husband. It’s not yours to give.

4 Likes