Not surprisingly, the United States Government lied its ass off about Afghanistan

You want these people running healthcare?

Iā€™ve never been for a military invasion of healthcare.

Bless your little heart.

Is that a PPO or HMO policy?

The people of Puerto Rico would disagree with your rebuild and leave claim. The folks in Okinawa might wonder when we are going to leave. And the people of Frankfurt as well, although they donā€™t seem as anxious for us to leave as the other cases.

The Washington Post, after several years of legal battles, acquired a massive trove of internal govt. documents detailing much about the Afghanistan War that was either not known, or downplayed in a major fashion by officials. I have a very simple take on this.

Bin Laden won.

His stated goal, very early on, was to harm our economy by getting us to spend untold fortunes on ineffective warfare. We have spent a trillion dollars there in cash alone, lost nearly 2400 service personnel and nobody knows how much will be spent caring for the thousands of wounded, maimed and disabled veterans in their lifetimes, I dare not guess. I daresay our economy might be considerably different if not for our folly there. Yes I supported it for a very long time.

The Washington Post is a pay site that many canā€™t read but here is a paragraph from a Reuters article and a link to the full article. Itā€™s pretty depressing, though we all know more or less that the situation is a lose lose one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/afghanistan-papers-reveal-tragedy-not-170050447.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVhbGNsZWFycG9saXRpY3MuY29tLzIwMTkvMTIvMTkvdGhlX2FmZ2hhbmlzdGFuX3BhcGVyc19yZXZlYWxfYV90cmFnZWR5X25vdF9hX2NyaW1lXzQ5NTk0My5odG1s&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN6oOlqa1Ia7gOhKN716yOknMEKJIw5mZC3lAKj1WMg9Z1kJfS8rxghlMBCan3PCRWLbRAwbu9Gc71IDL2esJmRTz9tjWyfxKo8Q9W8lEB23L6zf9whVFXqbIFXxp9JGtjUz8tJUzBp3NzaGnqYu94zHgZgBhLHlYQYuNZqI2aAY

(Bloomberg Opinion) ā€“ Is Americaā€™s two-decade war in Afghanistan a tragedy or a crime? A recent series in the Washington Post contends that it is more the latter than the former. For years, the argument goes, U.S. officials systematically lied regarding the prospects for success, while blithely downplaying the corruption and dependency American intervention fostered. The title of this series ā€” ā€œThe Afghanistan Papersā€ ā€” is meant, clearly, to echo the Vietnam-era Pentagon Papers. It implies that we should see this conflict, like Vietnam, as a misbegotten war fought in the service of illusions and lies.

Live Fire Exercise.

1 Like

My take, we had to go in and kill AQ. Now I know there is tons of opinion on it but United States couldnā€™t allow them to go unpunished. Not a big fan of nation buildingā€¦or what followed in Iraq.

Yes I know about that lol. I donā€™t subscribe to it, though the benefits are clear.

Agreed. We did that in six months.

Best trained fighting force on the planet.

Most experienced too.

Probably.

Perhaps this should be said of al our military excursions but then if we accept this hypothesis we are Trump supporters. WE must keep fighting purposeless wars.

Since Vietnam perhaps.

The United States seems to have missed learning any lessons from Vietnam.

For example, staying the **** out of where we are not wanted.

1 Like

Boggles the mind

I guess itā€™s easy for me to play armchair general but I feel the same way we could have left right after the Taliban was expelled and still searched for Bin Laden or at latest pulled out after Bin Laden was killed.

No earthly clue why were still there.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how you keep up with training.

The US Government lies its ass off about everything.

Mmmmmm. We could start with that lesson a lot closer to home.

1 Like

Our activities in Afghanistan were/are justified because our troops need people to kill to keep in practice?

And be killed or maimed themselves, just to keep in practice.

Iā€™m surprised youā€™re okay with that.