Not good news on the vaccine front

It was looking like Moderna was going to come out with the first vaccine and they just might be they have lengthened their study. But that’s not the big news which is the drug company AstraZeneca was expected to be first and now it has been put on hold for an adverse reaction.

“Phase 3 testing a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford at dozens of sites across the U.S. has been put on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the United Kingdom.”

This is relevant as they were the presumed frontrunners to release a vaccine first, :frowning:

AstroZeneca has paused testing of it’s COVID vaccine after a volunteer had an unexplained illness. First, let me say AstroZeneca is doing exactly the right thing here - and this is why we have trials. Companies have to ensure that the vaccines are safe before they release them for legal liability purposes. The event demonstrates why it is so important to ensure that all trials have been completed before distribution of the vaccine takes place. Kudos to AstroZeneca for pausing the process here to step back and determine why this unexplained illness happened.

3 Likes

still may. its one adverse reaction they need to investigate.

Ya well this whole thing whole thing much to my dismay has been political from the start. One aide wants it before Nov 1st the other anytime after Nov 3rd is fine, but I was hoping we don’t do the political thing with this. Moderna or Pfizer at this point I would assume will be the ones who hopefully deliver

A post was merged into an existing topic: General Off-Topic Slop from Various Threads +fd

Dude I put this in non political for a reason :slight_smile:

These are honestly sad news :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at with the post was that a lot of these vaccine places are all basing their things around the same thing or similar things so it’s not far off to think if this one fails the next one one fell as well or at least possible

They will probably discover that there is a negative interaction in people who include bangers and mash in their diet. :wink:

Anyone brave enough to take a vaccine from China or Russia? I wouldn’t but I still haven’t heard how long antibodies last once you get the virus, I am coming up on five months being virus free not sure if I am still carrying antibodies or more resistant to it, so little updates on how long the antibodies last.

I am banking on western companies either Moderna or Pfizer at this point to come out first.

So far, one adverse reaction. That is why the start with a small group and then expand to a larger group. I highly doubt they expect no adverse reactions.

It may help them to understand a group, for example, taking medication “X” so they can put a warning on the vaccine for negative interactions.

All medications have interaction warnings and adverse reaction warnings.

Side effects for the flu shot:

What are the side effects?

According to the CDC, mild side effects from the flu shot include soreness, redness or swelling at the injection site, low-grade fever and aches. Only about 1 percent to 2 percent of people who get a flu shot will have fever as a side effect, Schaffner said.

Rare but serious side effects can occur, including allergic reactions. Symptoms of serious side effects include difficulty breathing, swelling around the eyes or lips, hives, racing heart, dizziness and high fever. If you experience serious side effects, you should seek medical care immediately, the CDC says.

science so far says 2 to 3 months. nothing so far on whether your immune system will remember how to defeat it and could possibly lessen the severity/risk

Had a nice chat with someone working on the Pfizer vaccine.

Apparently their primary endpoint is “immune response with no infectivity OR asymptomatic.

In other words (and some of the data bears this out) their vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting COVID…in many cases it just lessens the severity.

Which provides zero protection for the immunocompromised who can’t get vaccines.

It would just make the bulk of the vaccinated population asymptomatic carriers.

Now apparently there might be some nasally applied antibody therapies that can mitigate virus shedding.

So maybe that in combo with a “non-vaccine” might help.

The first weakened-live-virus Polio vaccine caused Polio in a small number of recipients. That fact didn’t stop the widespread immunization of the people … particularly of children.

Aren’t the bulk of those who contracted Covid asymptomatic anyway?

I’d heard about the synthetic antibodies the other day. Wouldn’t just taking that therapeutic be safer than doubling up?

Referring to the Cutter incident? Must have been pretty scary back then. Out of 120,000 doses from Cutter Labs, 40,000 ended up getting a form of polio, a total of 113 were paralyzed and 5 died.

Then there’s the polio vaccine being contaminated with Simian Virus 40 (SV40). Between 1955-63 the monkey kidney cells used to make the inactivated form led to 10-30 million Americans receiving SV40. Luckily, it looks like it will be harmless (SV40 causes cancer in some mammals), but still a bit unnerving.

I think we’re probably much better at preventing things like this today. Personally, I’m still not one to be an early adopter of a rushed vaccine or any medication for that matter.