New Zealand: "Our gun laws will change." Why them and not us?

To try to understand what your point is.

Let me make it simple for you. The political party that tried to get in to bed with the NRA will suffer the electoral consequences in our federal election now called for SATURDAY 18th May, 2019.

How very pompous to know how those brave ANZAC soldiers would feel about their grandchildren and great-grand children.

“sheep who call themselves Aussies”. Just listen to yourself with your indignation that westaussie is judgmental of non-Australians.

That does not describe a problem for the NRA. The NRA is a American organization. If anything, what you describe is a benefit to the NRA. What has occurred in Australia and what is occurring in New Zealand is beneficial to their fund raising efforts because it is a clear example as to what can happen if we allow our government to violate our rights. Thank you very much. :wink:

When I was in Australia in 1970, Australians were still a tough, independent lot who took personal responsibility for themselves and theirs. Today, just two generations later, they willing give up rights on the say so of government on the false promise of security. They are sheep, equally willing to go to the shearing shed or the abattoir on the whim of their government. The soldiers who died at Gallipoli were men; men willing to die for freedom. They would be ashamed of what Australians have become.

kermode in the fine tradition of eggboi in 1917 an egg was thrown at the then PM who was campaigning for conscription (that was defeated). In the 1950s Australia did not support a referendum to ban the Communist Party of Australia. Gough Whitlam’s visit to China marked a major change in direction for Australia.

We Australians are proud of our universal health system. The national disability insurance scheme as well. Whilst there are several things we need to change in Australia and a Labor Party victory on the 18th May, 2019 will address many of them, our gun laws is not one of those that need to be weakened.

That is not what the NRA personnel said. In fact they said quite the opposite.

Water wears away the hardest stone, it just takes time.

You confuse your irrational fear of the USA federal government with Australia’s healthy cynicism of government’s of all political colours. Only one political party chose to get in bed with the NRA over our gun laws. They will be punished at our federal election on the 18th May, 2019.

So you double down on knowing how current Australians’ grandparents and great grand parents would feel?
That’s pompous.

I am not aware of another Aussie on this forum who has posted on this topic. Who thinks that any of my posts will succeed in convincing that American citizens on this forum will be swayed by my posts? If that is your view, then you must be very worried that your view on USA gun laws is in the minority.

I think Samm’s insecurities that his stance on USA gun laws are under threat; but not by me. They are under threat from the March for our Lives movement; Moms (sic) demand action movement. By emergency doctors who have justifiably taken to task the NRA’s appalling attack on medical staff that have to deal with the victims of gun shootings on a daily basis.

I don’t believe it’s insecurity; it’s intransigence.
It’s the same in all gun threads.

Perhaps. I do find it highly amusing that my posts cause so much angst for some like Samm, Sneaky et al.

Gun culture is extremely deep in certain segments of our country.

I recall certain posters deriding David Hogg and others in that movement prior to your mid-terms. We all know the result of that election.

If ever there was a chance of increased federal gun control it would have been after Sandy Hook.
Instead it lead to a firearm and ammo shortage.

I would have thought so too The difference this time after MSD mass shooting was that students of MSD in the aftermath of the shooting said NO MORE.I suspect that it will be a slow process and they may well have reached the age where they would be able to stand for the presidency but inexorably it will change.

It will be decades here.
We are very different than you regarding guns.

I understand that. It will take at least a generation.