New York State court reform

I had a chance to bring up New York State court reform a few weeks back, while in Albany on an unrelated lobbying trip. Got a chance to talk to state lawmakers of both parties about court reform in New York State. Very relevant since as a transnational corporation, my company frequently litigates in New York State courts, a truly byzantine system.

New York courts are dysfunctional on MANY levels. They are very much subject to “machine” political appointments. They are haphazardly laid out, with 11 different trial courts, most with overlapping jurisdiction. A state Supreme Court that is NOT the “supreme” court, but rather both a court of general jurisdiction and an intermediate appellate court. A system of town and village justice courts that truly embody the worst of what a judiciary can be.

To their credit, the New York Legislature is finally seriously confronting this longstanding problem.

Some proposed ideas are better than others, but none goes near far enough.

The ONLY adequate solution is to “blow it up and start over from scratch.” That is, the Legislature needs to propose a Constitutional Amendment completely repealing the current section of the State Constitution dealing with the Judiciary and to replace it with an entirely new section. The courts of New York State need to be abolished from the very top to the very bottom and replaced with brand new courts.

My proposed reform replaces the current system with a four court system, similar to the Federal System and the system used by the State of Florida, both systems considered to be efficient and well designed.

The Supreme Court would have discretionary appellate jurisdiction from the Courts of Appeals.

The Court of Appeals would be a standard intermediate appellate court with mandatory appellate jurisdiction from the Superior Courts and discretionary appellate jurisdiction from the County Courts.

The Superior Court would be the court of general jurisdiction, handling large scale civil cases, felony crimes and large civil violations, as well as most family law. It would also have expedited appellate jurisdiction over the County Court.

The County Court would be small claims, misdemeanor crimes, small civil violations and uncontested divorces.

Very simple, very easy. I have even laid out the simple language below needed to set it up.

The Judiciary

Section 6.01. Judicial Power. The judicial power of the State shall be vested in a unified judicial system, which shall include a Supreme Court, a Court of Appeals, a Superior Court and a County Court. All courts except the Supreme Court may be divided into geographical departments or districts as provided by law and into functional divisions and subdivisions as provided by law or by judicial rules not inconsistent with law, but each county in the State shall comprise a County Court district.

Section 6.02. Supreme Court. The Supreme Court shall be the highest court of the State and shall consist of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The Supreme Court shall solely sit en banc when hearing cases. The Supreme Court shall have discretionary jurisdiction from the Court of Appeals, which shall be exercised by Writ of Certiorari. The Supreme Court shall have jurisdiction to consider and decide all questions certified to them by the Supreme Court of the United States. The Supreme Court shall have original, exclusive and final jurisdiction of certain cases defined elsewhere in this Constitution.

Section 6.03. Court of Appeals. Each division of the Court of Appeals shall consist of a Chief Judge and such number of Associate Judges as the General Assembly may by law establish. The Court of Appeals shall sit in three Judge panels for the purpose of considering appeals, but, by majority vote of the Judges of a division, the Court of Appeals may rehear a case en banc. The Court of Appeals shall have mandatory appellate jurisdiction of all cases arising in the Superior Court and discretionary appellate jurisdiction of all cases arising in the County Court, such jurisdiction to be exercised by Writ of Certiorari, however, review of cases arising in the County Court shall not be granted, until the Superior Court has completed appellate review of such cases.

Section 6.04. Superior Court. Each division of the Superior Court shall include one or more County Court districts and shall consist of a Chief Judge and such number of Associate Judges as the General Assembly may by law establish. The Superior Court shall have original jurisdiction of all cases in law and equity arising under the Constitution of the United States and the laws and Constitution of the State of New York, excepting such original jurisdiction as shall be vested in the County Courts or the Supreme Court. The Superior Court shall have mandatory appellate jurisdiction of all cases arising in the County Court, such appellate jurisdiction to be exercised by a single judge panel.

Section 6.05. County Court. Each division of the County Court shall consist of a Chief Judge and such number of Associate Judges as the General Assembly may by law establish. The County Court shall have jurisdiction of misdemeanor criminal offenses and all civil violations, except such violations where the potential fine exceeds twenty thousand dollars. The County Court shall have jurisdiction of civil suits at law and equity, where the amount in question does not exceed twenty thousand dollars. The County Court shall have jurisdiction of uncontested dissolution of marriage cases where there are no minor children, but all other cases of family law shall cognizable by the Superior Court.

Section 6.06. Chief Judges. The Chief Justice or Chief Judge of any court in the State shall be the Justice or Judge, in active status, who shall be the most senior in commission, but shall not have attained to the age of seventy years. On any court in the State, when there is no Justice or Judge who has not attained to the age of seventy years, the Chief Justice or Judge shall be the Justice or Judge least senior in age. Any Justice or Judge may decline to serve as Chief Justice or Judge or may terminate such service prior to attaining the age of seventy years.

Section 6.07. Senior Justices & Judges. Senior Justices and Judges shall be eligible to participate in all proceedings of the court to which they have elected assignment in senior status, including participating in en banc proceedings. Senior Justices and Judges may determine which general categories of cases and controversies they will accept for assignment to their docket.

Utah has similar to what you would like to see.

Lowest level is Justice court. Can be as small as a city or cover an entire county. County I live in two cities have a justice court (only applies to infractions, traffic citations, and misdemeanors that occure within the city limits.), and a county Justice court (coveres everything within the county except incorporated cities that have their own justice court).

For felonies (and some other misdemeanors) they go to a district court. A district can cover part of a county to multiple counties. The district court I live in covers 4 counties and has three judges. Some of the counties only have a judge holding court 1 day a week. District court also deals with Divorce cases, and civil cases and small claims.

Some justice court cases can be appealed (not the term they use in the court opinions) and district court is appealable to the appeals court (covers the entire state). Appeals court is appealable to the state supreme court. Very few court cases go directly to the supreme court here in Utah.

Problem is, you’ll see this happen over New York City’s smoldering ruins. Judicial patronage is the single most important piece of influence the parties control given their bafflingly weird five county, one city setup.

Utah seems to have an efficient judicial structure. Its fundamental court structure was set up during its territorial period by the Federal Government and has functioned well since then. I think you guys added an intermediate appellate court circa the 1990’s. But Utah has a good system.

That will be a definite barrier to fixing judicial selection in New York. But they did manage to break Tammany Hall, so maybe there is hope.

The extent of my knowledge about NY state courts is from a small town or village justice court which you mentioned. I had a traffic infraction for which I was innocent and fought it in court. Check this out, it was in somebody’s HOUSE upstate. My insurance “card” was printed on a piece of paper back before personal computers and printing your own. The cop didn’t believe it was real and neither did the judge even though I brought my policy with me to court. He said NOPE, it has to be a card, not some piece of paper. He said bring me proof within two weeks or I’ll issue a warrant. I said fine and walked out and never went back, ■■■■ them. I didn’t even live in NY, let them come and get me. It was a brand new policy and the insurance agent at the office I got insurance from printed it out right there in front of me. Jackasses.

The sad thing is, your experience is 100% typical. The above New York Times article from 2006 details the abuses of the New York justice court system and the frequent incompetence of the Judges (who aren’t even required to be attorneys!!!) and the abusive behavior of the Judges.

And nothing has changed in the 13 years since that article was published.

I would be in the same shape as you. I renew my insurance online and have to print out my own card.

1 Like