My question for forum libs

Welcome to the real world.

Enemy or competitor?

Does Canada view us as an enemy?

From a nationalist perspective, every other country is a competitor - and only a competitor.

But that’s not what I’m talking about. Nationalism requires an existential threat of an enemy.

2 Likes

I don’t know these people. Are they famous or something?

America is exceptional. There are those who would love nothing more than to destroy that exceptionalism.

1 Like

I don’t think I agree with that. Can you please explain why?

Is that not true?

How is a “nationalist perspective” different from nationalism?

Nonsense. That or your definition of “enemy” is so broad that it includes allies of a different culture and different constitution. For example…Americans are nationalist concerning the Brits. We like em. They are allies. We share much culture. But we don’t want to be British and vice versa. And if we get into trade disputes, all else being equal we want American concerns to prevail. That’s “America First”. If they were ab actual enemy we would not only want our interests to prevail but would possibly go further to damage the enemy’s interests.

You mean like China?

I’ll reframe my statement.

Like Communism, it is possible on a theoretical level that a “pure” nationalism could exist that did not require an enemy to focus the will of the people on - in the same sense that theoretically, we could all put aside all our animosity and work side by side for the betterment of all humanity.

But nationalism has never worked without an enemy.

Yes. Exactly.

China is your enemy.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

So, theoretical versus actual?

Not MY enemy.

Enemy of me being a nationalist rather than a globalist.

Nationalism looks at geopolitics as a zero-sum game. To succeed, another country must fail.

That’s just not how it works.

Well…
China is an enemy. But Canada is not and yet American Nationalism is relevant in both cases. We can’t have Canada ruining our industries that are needed for national security. So “America First” principles are relevant for our relationships with both countries.

What do you think these terms mean?

I have a sneaking suspicion we would define them differently.

That’s some textbook ■■■■ of the bull that is written by people who want to give out participation trophies. To them, “winning” is bad.

2 Likes

Yup. That is how it works. On a macro and micro level.

For millenniums.

Can you re-invent the wheel?

It’s as if you guys were never really capitalists, after all.

Does it not “work” without an enemy? Or do enemies arise because of nationalism?

I don’t think I can agree with this. And I think it has to do with “justice”. Nobody criticized Canada for their nationalism. If the US did it?

Does anybody criticize China for theirs?

“America First” was roundly criticized when one said it. Not a peep about the other one saying the exact same thing.

Nationalism does work without an enemy, it works with competitors. And every other country on earth is a competitor.

How about statism - in the sense of US states?