MUELLER MAYHEM: Senate Panel APPROVES Legislation to ‘Protect Mueller’

An extreme step requiring a super majority (aka 60 votes in the senate). Unlikely to happen unless there is extreme malfeasence or other crimes.

Yes and usually brought in as a true independent. So farm Mueller has not shown that, but has shown utter bias in the staff that he hired.

I would add either the president or the Attorney General can fire the special prosecuter. Since that position is not appointed with consent of the senate nor and elected position, I don’t think impeachment is an option.

I agree. I don’t think it should be easy to remove an appointed official from power. Especially when the removal could be for political reasons and not failure of duty.

And who is the arbiter of impartiality? The press? The American people? The party of the person being investigated? The person appointed by the one being investigated? The one being investigated?

If you know of an objective measure of true impartiality let me know. Then let’s see if anyone could possibly be deemed 100% impartial.

Article 2, section 4 US constitution

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I can’t see how a special prosecutor wouldn’t be considered a civil officer.

I can only assume that is because you haven’t looked up the terms definition, here you go.

from Officer of the United States - Wikipedia

a position to which is delegate by legal authority a portion of the sovereign power of the federal government and that is ‘continuing’ in a federal office subject to the Constitution’s Appointment Clause. A person who would hold such a position must be properly made an ‘officer of the United States’ by being appointed pursuant to the procedures specified in the Appointments Clause.

You’re correct. You should check out that Appointments Clause.

… and [the President] shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Guess who congress vested the appointment of special counselor to? The attorney general. That’s why part a of the special counsel order says Mueller is “appointed” special counsel. I’ve included that below.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/967231/download

You can bet the farm that if Mueller got fired he throws the doomsday switch on his way out of his office. Everything he had on him up to that point unleashed. Pure Hellfire would reign down upon the WH from all sides.

Ok, read more on it, seems he is an officer of the United States.

Some questions…

Is this Constitutional?

Doesn’t the president have to sign legislation from Congress?

The Senators who voted for the bill must feel their constituents would approve, I can’t see why else they would do it.
And will Trump veto the bill? And the results then?

But the worst thing Trump could do at this point is fire him, anyway. Firing Comey made this much worse, and firing Mueller would just be iling on.

MAYHEM

That term is far more synomous with the Trump administration.

Trump is not going to fire Mueller, imo.

Why bother with this attempted unconstitutional legislation?

And, Trump has to sign off on it?

Twilight Zone…

A caller on Sean’s radio show earlier today claimed that Senator Graham is a member of the deep state.

Lordy.

What total skulls full of mush some of Sean’s listeners must be?

This falls under congressional oversight of the executive branch. Checks and balances stuff. It’s not true legislation. President doesn’t sign off on it or have a direct way to counteract it that I know of.

It doesn’t seem to be Constitutional for the Congress to neuter the president to fire Mueller; not that he’s going to.

Check your Balances.

It might not “seem” constitutional to you, but that doesn’t doesn’t change that it is.

It “seems” more unconstitutional to me that the President could fire the person appointed to investigate him.

You would have been content if Clinton fired Starr?

Well that scenario of IF Clinton fired Starr would produce the same “crisis” you are dreaming of.

It didn’t happen.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, predicted that the bill won’t come to a vote on the Senate floor, won’t be approved by the House, and won’t be signed into law by Trump.

Would appear that is has to be voted on in BOTH the house and seante AND signed by the president. So it dosn’t sound like “oversite” regulation to me. It’s an actual law GIVENING congress authority over the special council.

1 Like

Senate judiciary committee bills (executive branch oversight) are approved by full senate only. House judicial committee bills (judicial oversite) are approved by full house only. Presidential veto doesn’t apply to unicameral legislation.

Dude, it’s an ACT . . A bill that was debated. Did you forget how bills (aka an act) becomes law? It would give Mueller authority to go to the judicial branch.

If he is fired, Mueller would have 10 days to seek an expedited judicial review of his dismissal. If the court determines he was not fired for good cause, his removal would not take effect. The bill also requires that the special counsel’s staff, documents and investigative materials are preserved during the court review.

From usa today article previously linked. It would be a LAW they are passing. It needs approval of the House, the Senate and signature of the president. President Veto’s. House and Senate can over ride it. Don’t see that happening.

Any other questions?

1 Like

Chill.

My mistake. I thought this was an action by the oversight committee. Instead it was their approval of proposed legislation.