MIT has banned diversity statements

TBH, not entirely sure what this is going to mean in practice but even a symbolical gesture that navigates from DEI can’t be a bad thing.

On Saturday, an MIT spokesperson confirmed in an email to me that “requests for a statement on diversity will no longer be part of applications for any faculty positions at MIT”, adding that the decision was made by embattled MIT President Sally Kornbluth “with the support of the Provost, Chancellor, and all six academic deans”.

The decision marks an inflection point in the battle over diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in higher education. Since at least the late 2010s, diversity statements have been ubiquitous in faculty hiring, sometimes carrying serious weight in the selection process. As one dean at Emory University put it while describing her approach to hiring, “Diversity statement, then dossier.”

5 Likes

that is surprising that it is MIT at the center of the lefti-verse

maybe the first step in realizing what a bad idea it is

Maybe they’re finally realizing that progressive teachers slashing standards nationwide, because “math is racist,” will lead to a dark age.

9 Likes

Oh…and is that because now, it’s considered wrong? If that’s wrong, I wonder what else in the future will be considered wrong applying…libthink? :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Good riddance to racist rubbish.

5 Likes

I seem to remember a sci novel about that. Humanity regressed because we stopped teaching math and science.

And then no one knew how to repair anything.

3 Likes

for people so smart they do the stupidest things

this defines the left really. educated morons who are ready to get violent

3 Likes

Kill it!

4 Likes

I didn’t know what a diversity statement was. When I looked at what they were asked to submit, I wouldn’t even know where to start.

1 Like

have they been sued by the ACLU yet?

Well, it is an institute of engineering and technology. It’s more surprising to me that DEI was implemented in the first place.

I have been on their campus for various work related activities. They are just as lefty as the rest of them.

Sweet!!! Yes… DEI = Didn’t Earn It.

5 Likes

Probably realized that those policies are a sure way to end up being sued for violating the Civil Rights Act.

1 Like

With fire!

Yes. The school Administrators are definitely lefties and they run the show. But the underlying persona of the school is more grounded in science and logic. This step back away from DEI won’t be happening any time soon at most universities.

Kill it ded.

1 Like

Killed the requirement dead, not the classes.

One step at a time.

Don’t hold your breath. Whether they backed off on making it a graduation requirement or not, they are still libs.

1 Like