Minnesota court vacates Minneapolis cop's murder conviction; will there be more violence?

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/justine-ruszczyk-damonds-killer-mohamed-noor-has-conviction-overturned-in-minneapolis/news-story/110bf2bae66d5d9c9bfa4aca54df792b

There may be some concern from the Australian government.

Otherwise, nothing to see here, move on.

I agree with the ruling.

1 Like

Of course you do.

Tsk, tsk,

Did you read the article?

Yes I did.

Then how do you disagree?

Because it was a bad shoot, and up to ten years (which means what? Five years?) Is not sufficient. In my opinion.

I think I agree with the ruling in the instant, but disagree with the width of the holding.

What does that mean?

I’m still figuring out how to explain what I mean. Hold on.

He’s still going to prison… not sure why this is a story

I will admit I didn’t follow this case, but from the description in the article, I don’t think Mr. Noor’s actions evinc[ed] a depraved mind, without regard for human life.

But I disagree with the breadth of the ruling, because I absolutely believe that in general, actions directed specifically at an individual can evince such a depraved mind.

The classic example of “depraved heart” murder is someone throwing a barbell off an overpass. An act that while not directly intending to kill someone, requires a mens rea of utter disdain and disregard for human life.

I agree that it was a bad shoot. But I don’t think Noor’s actions meet the threshold of depraved heart murder.

1 Like

There is no telling what damage she could have done if he had not shot. He could not be sure she didn’t have a gun. There is precedence.

1 Like

Okay, but here’s my thing: is up to 10 years a sufficient sentence for a cop, under the color of authority, for killing an unarmed, bare foot person?

Funny that you don’t feel the same way about the cop who shot Ashli Babbit. Why doesn’t he get that benefit of precedence?

1 Like

I don’t feel that way about the cop in Minnesota or the cop who shot Babbit. That was sarcasm on my part. Babbit was the precedence I referenced.

3 Likes

Gotcha…whoooosh.:roll_eyes:

Won’t get Morrison any votes; so one wouldn’t expect there to be anything more than a cursory comment from the Morrison government.

The similarities to Babbitt are notable.

I agree. He shot through his window and killed the lady that called him to the scene cuz…he was “startled”.