Michigan AG charges fake electors with election fraud

Some good news!!??!! Michigan AG Dana Nessel has decided to charge 16 Michigan Republicans with falsifying a slate of electors for the State of Michigan in an attempt to present an illegal slate of electors to the Federal Government. They falsely claimed, in that document, that they were the duly assigned electors for the State of Michigan and were casting their votes for Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Of course, Biden and Harris won the state rather easily, by over 150,000 votes. The true electors were casting those votes the same day in the proscribed setting, the Michigan Senate building. In a rather brazen move, since any electoral slate from Michigan had to be signed and certified there, the GOP members first tried to sneak in the night before and stay overnight to sign it in the morning. When that didnā€™t pan out they tried to sneak in the back door the morning of and were met by Michigan Capitol security, who denied them entry. It seems Whitmer got a sniff of what they were doing and made sure they didnā€™t get in.

But they still submitted the fake elector document to NARA! Amazing! Really against the law. Kind of amazing it took this long. I suppose if any of the other 6 states where this happened have a Democratic AG, we might see more of this in the coming weeks.

Look, I know this seems like folks are targeting GOP a lot lately, but the 2020 election had a whole lot of criminal behavior that has still gone unchecked and to me, the most egregious was the fake elector scheme. Their signatures are on a genuinely false document which constitutes election fraud in the highest degree. Since most GOP folks I know HATE election fraud, I hope even reasonable Conservatives would agree that politicians, no matter the party, should not disregard the will of the voter and falsely claim someone else won, attempting to overthrow the election.

3 Likes

It is my hopeā€¦this opens the door for the election to be fully investigated on all sides and that the truth is known. Our elections must be fully protected from fraud from ALL sides.

2 Likes

It already has been. The 2020 was the most scrutinized in history. They found nothing. Itā€™s time to let this go.

Do changes to election laws have to go through the stateā€™s legislature to change them according to our Constitution prior to implementing them in an election?

1 Like

Oh, I agree! Look at both sides and then convict anyone who committed fraud, especially on this scale! Imagine, Biden wins Michigan so the Democrats are assigned to select 16 electors to meet in the Senate Building and certify the electors and submit it to NARA and the GOP just decides to fakely state Trump won? And send a fake certificate to a Federal Agency? NARA? That document is on file there! How on earth did they think that level of fraud would not come back and bite them on the backside?

16 lives ruined trying to do something they had to know was completely against the law, itā€™s sort of sad. One of the fake electors is 82 years old. Terrible stuff.

I believe the process and laws of elections are left to the states to decide, within reason of course. You certainly cannot discriminate against voters or make it too difficult to cast your ballot, but each state has the right to run things their way. For instance, in 2020 there was a massive COVID wave happening in November, so a lot of states made it easier to vote by mail to avoid additional risk to the population. Certainly justifiable, given the circumstance. Seemed to have worked out fine for the most part.

I agree for the most part, but those who broke the law back then still have to face the consequences of their actions, or they will just do it again.

i mean they have them on video. pretty much a slam dunk

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539792274162343946?s=20

It is for Congress and the courts to decide who the legitimate electors are. If these peoples representations of themselves failed they would be (and were) rejected.
Gore was not prosecuted for contesting the results of an election and neither should these people be prosecuted. They simply made a failed legal arguement.
Democrats have taken, whenever they have control of the justice system, to use it politically.
This is not democracy.

1 Like

No, the voters decide who the legitimate electors are. The candidate with the most votes wins the electors, not the candidate whose party is so desperate for a win they wind up trying to create a slate of fake electors so that the Congress or the Courts gets to decide which set is real. That would be an absolute nightmare.

3 Likes

By lying and submitting forged, fraudulent documents.

2 Likes

The political prosecutions of Trump and everyone they can around him, everyone they can who supports him, and at the same time doing nothing about democrats that are truly corrupt, in fact coving it all up.

They are trying to make being a republican illegal.

Now this latest:

2 Likes

The emphasis is on felony.

Not on what they actually did.

Looks like a bunch of seniors.

1 Like

Perhaps itā€™s time for Republicanā€™s AGā€™s across the country to charge as many democrats as possible for as many made up crimes as possible?

1 Like

Not made up crimesā€¦there are ample legit ones. Including abuse of office in this case.

I think the checks and balances will work here.

2 Likes

Remember this?

5 Likes

It is the exact same action.

3 Likes

I started a thread on this too! A few facts you seem to be missing:

1. The 16 were not the duly assigned electors for the State of Michigan
  2. They attested on their submitted document that they were. (This is a crime)
  3. The State of Michigan requires electors to certify the document in the State Capitol.
  4. They certified it in a basement of the GOP headquarters and still said they certified it in the Capitol. (This is a crime)
  5. The former GOP SoS and the head of the Michigan GOP both refused to be fake electors and advised against it.
  6. The fake electors attempted to sneak into the Capitol the morning of, but were denied entry by the Capitol police. This shows intent to defraud.
  7. The GOP leaders of the Michigan House and Senate both said, on the day the fake electors met, that Biden won the state and that all protests, etc. should stop.
  8. The fake electors were not allowed to bring their phones into the meeting where they signed, which signifies they knew what they were doing was wrong.
  9. They were advised to include in the document that it was only if Trump were later found to have won the state, they refused.

They broke the law, they will be punished for it. Not because they were GOP members, but because they committed voter fraud.

12 Likes

So you dont think those 16 did anything wrong?

Tried to pressure and showed up to the Capitol with fake certifications is totes the same.

1 Like