Mexico cuts diplomatic ties with Ecuador after Jorge Glas arrest

After Ecuadorian police stormed the Mexican Embassy to arrest Jorge Glas, slamming the Mexica chargé d’affaires to the ground, Mexico broke diplomatic relations with Ecuador, with Nicaragua also breaking diplomatic relations with Ecuador a few hours later.

Clearly the correct course of action as Ecuador’s action was a gross violation of diplomatic law.

By international law, that’s the same as coming into Mexico without authorization and arresting him on Mexican soil. Huge no-no in diplomatic circles.

Won’t be long before we need to start meddling down there again. :rofl:

1 Like

It looks like Ecuador valued making the arrest more than diplomatic relations with Mexico. They decided to use low intensity politics by other means to resolve the issue.

Yeah. Medling in South America was all the rage in the '50s. Fun times.

I’ve never looked … is Ecuador reliant on Mexico for anything? Like oil, for instance? And if they are, how well does Ecuador get along with Venezuela?

I’ve always been surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

1 Like

It used to be almost routine. Other than for Venezuela, South America has been uncharacteristically quiet the last few decades.

Ecuador screwed up.

I think Ecuador is having a big cartel problem right now but not sure if tied to Mexico cartels. Ecuador is hosting turf wars because they’re on a trafficking route now. Or at least I think it’s Ecuador I’m thinking of.

And they even got themselves a pope.

Quite what?

Sorry … Quiet.

What could go wrong? :laughing:

1 Like

Get in it!

1 Like

It doesn’t look like Ecuador depends on Mexico for anything. It appears to be more of about Leftist governments outside of Ecuador seeking to insert themselves into an internal law enforcement action against a leftist former vice president of Ecuador.

■■■■ Ecuador.

They protected Julian Assange in their London Embassy, than DARE complain when Mexico does the same.

Embassies are inviolate.

They had no right to do what they did.

PARTICULARLY WHEN THEY DID THEY SAME EXACT THING WITH ASSANGE.

■■■■ em.

1 Like

Low intensity politics by other means.

Yesh, I understand they had legitimate cause to nab this guy, but busting into an embassy to get him is really bad form. It puts them on par with counties like Libya and Iran.

On Saturday, governments across the political spectrum in Latin America - including Brazil and Colombia on the left, and Argentina and Uruguay on the right - sharply criticized the arrest of Glas, who had sought refuge in the embassy since December.

I would note that Ecuador has been strongly condemned by countries on both sides of the political spectrum and rightly so.