Megan Rapinoe and Subway

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/megan-rapinoe-s-post-olympic-woes-continue-as-subway-franchises-want-her-dropped/ar-AANaR3B

It appears franchisees, who pay 4.5% of their revenues towards advertising and overhead costs are getting tired of apologizing to customers for Subways particular choice of Ms. Rapinoe as spokesman.

I find it interesting a majority who don’t want Rapinoe as spokesman are men, with more women being neutral on a franchise’s choice of spokesman. Much of the outrage over her behavior, from stomping on an American flag, to apparently not only taking a knee, but pressuring others to do so, comes from so called red states. However, last I heard, Wisconsin didn’t fit that description:

With the embarrassment of former & now incarcerated spokesman Jared Fogle taping teens in various states of undress, might it not have been more prudent to seek a less controversial athlete, like Sunisa Lee? IMO had it not been for behaviors like stomping on the U S flag, the ad featuring Rapinoe kicking a soccer ball at a burrito could have generated everything from indifference to maybe some interest in Subway and not franchisees apologizing to irate customers.

Thoughts?

Someone needs to be fired in marketing from Subway, whoever is hiring these people. To think this was their first face of Subway.

2 Likes

Simone Biles—much as some complained about her withdrawal from the all around, for what turned out to be a death in the family—would have been a good choice. She did nothing wrong per the rules of the sport. She doesn’t wear her political convictions on her sleeve.

How about Michael Phelps? If retired, he’s still remembered as a great swimmer.

Yeah, someone in marketing at Subway hasn’t been in a coffee :coffee: lounge in awhile & should at least set foot in one to wake up & take a whiff of that heaven sent beverage.

Let’s do a little maths. If 45% want Subway to cut ties, it means a majority of those. 55%, who participated don’t support cutting the ties. Also, 45% of, I will be generous and use 35,000 for the calculation, is 15,750 people out of a population of over 330,000,000.

Not exactly an overwhelming percentage who support such a move. One could also mount a case that the free publicity that Subway is getting would more than offset any loss from a very small number of people choosing to go to some other business.

In short, in my opinion, it is not even as significant as a storm in a teacup.

He was a great swimmer. However, I am sure that there are a couple of issues in his past that some others may choose to highlight to support an argument that he would not be an appropriate choice.

Also, in this current environment it would be difficult to find anyone who would be acceptable to everyone. For example, there would be people who would argue against Mother Teresa.

1 Like

I’m thinking a majority of those who don’t Rapinoe as their spokesman are also against the “liberal cancel culture” and don’t see the irony

1 Like

I agree Simone Biles would of been a better choice and does good commercials. She might not of been available though due to her contract with Uber Eats. If another chain got.upset because they felt the shared Subway/Uber Eats spokesman puts their chain at a disadvantage it could potentally jeopardize a contract

1 Like