May quits as UK prime minister

Thanks for your detailed response. I am by no means an expert on all things Brexit. From what I understand May would brook no variation to her deal which flew in the face of the internal opposition from the ERG. Late last year she wasted 4-8 weeks when she did nothing to try to get a deal done.

Again with respect to the Irish border any physical border will potentially jeopardise the Good Friday accord, The consequence of that is the potential for the conflict to be re-ignited.

Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

Obviously, Corbyn and Labour played politics with the issue. However, May was the PM, it was her responsibility to get the legislation through the Commons.

The Conservative Party is deeply divided and could face a potential split depending on who is elected the PM in the next few weeks. Labour is also divided on the issue. Depending on when the next general election is held it is likely that both major parties will have a drop in their vote. I would expect the SNP to increase their vote in Scotland. Farage and his rabble will get votes but the UK have a first past the post system so it is hard to see how his party could win enough seats to form government. A party needs to win 326 seats to have a majority.

One other possible fallout will be that the Scottish parliament pushes for a second independence referendum.

One final point with respect to monitoring of movements, in the discussions I have heard there was talk about using technology that as yet does not exist.

1 Like

There are some proposals to abolish all tariffs on imports into the UK in the case of a no-deal Brexit:

If Britain did that, then any disruptions in trade would be a direct result of EU actions; any walls or trade barriers would be on the EU side of the border.

1 Like

My take on that proposal is that it is analogous to jumping out of an aeroplane without a parachute. You might survive but it will be bad for your health whatever happens.

Immigration often gets thrown out there as the main reason ā€œLeaveā€ was able to win but I have read that a high percentage of voters were fed up with the EU Brussels set up weā€™re they are being led by unelected officials.

1 Like

What should be pointed out is that there are probably more than 2 million people who either were too young to vote in the previous referendum or have died since the first referendum.

To me the only fair resolution to this impasse would be to allow a second referendum where the choice is between the deal/no deal passed by the Commons and remain in the EU.

There not going to do that without one of the major parties fully endorsing it in which they donā€™t. Also donā€™t forget the deadline which the EU itself set which they said there will be no further negotiations on Oct 31st which is approaching.

Corbyn the leader of the Labour Party is a Euro-sceptic himself. There is no appetite for a second referendum among the leaders. There is also a chance ā€œLeaveā€ would win again.

[quote=ā€œCassandraJoe, post:66, topic:189829, full: trueā€]
Like so many other Brexit issues, I donā€™t really understand the problem. I donā€™t get why the Ireland/N. Ireland border must suddenly turn into a ā€œBerlin-Wallā€ DMZ with tank traps, land mines, and armed border guardsā€¦ [/quote]

In this statement you sum-up you total lack of understanding of the future England/EU relationship.

What have I asked for? I gave my analysis based on what I have seen in PMQs, votes in the Commons and interviews with members of the House of Commons. Also, taking into consideration what the EU have done and said.