Matthew 10:34 - Jesus comes not to bring peace, but a sword

Posters…what is your interpretation of this verse?

for us to defend ourselves against forces of evil

Jesus is making it plain, there is no other way but through Him. It is the introduction of Christianity.

Pitting fathers against son, mothers against daughters, etc. etc?

Did you know this before you looked it up in Bible Study tools? (Not being snarky, just curious.)

Pitting mothers against daughters, fathers against sons, etc. This is the introduction to Christianity?

No, it was my conclusion but then I thought…Smyrna…don’t you think you should look that up…and I did…and then posted it here. Notice it was added a tad later?

no good vs evil

How do you get “mothers against daughters” and “fathers against sons” and turn that into “good vs evil”?

Are you including in your thoughts writings other than those that are in the Bible?

Jesus taught repentance for the forgiveness of sins. This teaching meant Temple revenues would take a big hit. Just talking about the concept got Jesus killed.

Jesus taught that he was one with God. Upon hearing this some wanted to stone him.

Jesus noted that there was a lack of faith in his own home community…and some tried to throw him off a cliff.

Jesus taught, “Eat my body, drink my blood” and many of his followers left him.

Fast forward to today: How many turn away from their sins and how many convince themselves that things like divorce, abortion, holding a grudge–for their case–is the exception.

There are struggles with family, co-workers when once walks a path based on their faith rather than go along to get along.

Ask Catholics about discussions they have had about the body and blood of Christ in the form of bread and wine.

1 Like

the sword represents the division of those who believe in christ for salvation vs those who do not, who will be rejected for salvation including possibly, family members.

Perhaps the translation is faulty…

I would have thought, “Will turn mother against unbelieving daughter” and “will turn son against unbelieving father” would be more accurate for your interpretation.

To state definitely that that’s what he’s gonna do (pit mother against daughter, etc.(), without clarifying what any of these folks did to be turned against each other…

And since He’s there to bring everyone into Christ, I would have thought he would have said, “Ive come with an olive branch to help bring unbelievers back into their family by instilling in them the wholly spirit…”

“Bringing a sword” implies much more violence to all of God’s creation than I would have expected.

But that’s something I have never understood from the beginning of the Bible onward.

God creates everybody, right? Then he decides that the Jews are his special people - and doens’t care about anyone else except in that they are living in the land he wants to give to the Jews…

It’s only when Jesus comes on the scene that all of a sudden everyone is supposed to come together in Christ…

Sounds like a reference to the Kali Yuga to me.

1 Like

Jews explain this differently. They believe God gave them a special mission to all on earth, but that special mission does not make them more special to God than anyone else. Jews believe their faith and way of life is meant to be a light to the Gentiles.

No, not violence, just a warning that this way of life is not a cakewalk. It takes discipline and commitment and be prepared to be mocked/insulted for taking this road less traveled. (The way is narrow and few find it.)

What is the Kali Yuga?

Please share.

I’m told that the years are not meant to be taken literally, but rather taken in the abstract to represent vast/less vast periods of time.

Yugas explained by Alan Watts.

The Sword is Metaphor for decapitating the heads of demonic forces. Cause and Effect. It is the secret meaning of removing and expiating sins and cut off the paths of evil.

I had that LP when it came out…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

It seems Jesus and his roving band were quite the escrimeurs.

[quote]Luke 22
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.
Posters…what is your interpretation of this verse?

“That’s enough!” he replied.
[/quote]