Major ruling out of the 10th Circuit regarding Presidential Electors (Baca v Colorado Department of State)

The same reason we’ve always had a popular vote. To pereptuate the illusion that people have a choice.

Very much so. I had no idea that state laws dictating how their electoral votes must be allocated could be unconstitutional.

Regardless of the numbers in the senate and house it wouldn’t pass half the states much less 38. That will never happen at least in our life time.

I believe the electoral has worked as it intended too throughout all our election…not just 1824. 1824 was anomaly but the original intent has always been the system itself.

Correctional: see 2016 electoral votes cast. Faith Spotted Eagle got 1 electoral vote for president. (I kid you not)

With the ruling, electors are not bound to a candidate. Presidential election will be votes for electors only and not candidates since any elector can choose anyone eligible of their choosing.

Allan (welcoming new posters on hannity since 2002)

Just a slight correction. The 1876 election result allowed the disenfranchisement of the black race in the south for many years to come, constitutional amendments be damned.

Allan

Interesting ruling. The courts basically made every elector a free person. They can vote for whoever they want, regardless of what state they live in.

I don’t mind this system, except for the fact that I do not get to choose which electors will represent my state.

Right. I find the idea of mob rules to be loathsome.

:tickets:

1 Like

Mt dad explained that to me when i was a kid. He said electors can vote for whoever they want but if they vote against the people in their home state then they better not go home. :smile:

I bet the hillary voters were none too happy about the vote for Faith Spotted Eagle.

Allan

My point was not whether they are legally bound or not.
I was asking about how they are picked .
Am I right, that the electors are picked at the nationakl convention, from delegates to the convention?
When a person wins a State in the general election it is that candidates electors that go to the electoral college for that State, not the losing candidates.
So, all they have to do is make sure at the convention they are picking loyal people.
Right?

Depends on the state. you are close. they are not picked at a NATIONAL convention. They are usually selected at the state convention.

Let the electors overturn an election and you will see some real anger.

Thank you . I was not sure on that point.
Understand my point? These electoral college electors are party people. People inside the politics of the party, thats why they are selected at the State conventions for that party.
EACH republican State convention has to make sure they are picking people loyal to the party.
I think it is a good thing they have freedom to choose though in the end.
Something counld happen between the national convention and election, of election and when the electoral college meets and votes.
Something really bad would have to happen. Like the person murdered someone in cold blood, something like that.

Well - you are wrong.
in 2016 6 electors broke rank, and 3 others tried to (Hence this case)
2 republicans - who decided Trump was just not fit to be president
and 4 dems - 2 of which were trying to encourage Republican electors to vote for someone else beside someone who was unfit.

Also - think of the various scenarios-Where this will really come into play is if there is a ever a 269-269 split based on popular vote. You could very easily have 1 elector decide they don’t want it to go to the house.

Yep. They would need a real good reason.
But with this possible new freedom, we could see people secretly for the other party work their way in to becoming an elector for the other party, for the purpose of manipulating the electoral college.
It would be very hard to do though.
You have to start this in high school probable.
Pretend you are for one party, and go into politics in a State, and work your way into becoming an electoral college elector for the party, . probably in a swing state too.

In this day and time i could see it happening.

They are private citizens.

“The U.S. Constitution contains very few provisions relating to the qualifications of Electors. Article II, section 1, clause 2 provides that no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector. As a historical matter, the 14th Amendment provides that state officials who have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the United States or given aid and comfort to its enemies are disqualified from serving as Electors. This prohibition relates to the post-Civil War era.”

Allan

Lol. Not a chance.

Can you imagine the uproar.

When I cast my ballot for the slate of electors. I expect them to vote for the person who they represent.

Allan

I do too but in this day and time i could see it happening.