Looks like Brexit is happening Queen agrees to suspend parliament

Y’all know what propaganda is?

It’s when an Englishman takes a good look at something.

As someone who voted to leave the EU there are many positives of EU membership and I think the UK will struggle when/if we leave.

Travel is easier which in turn has helped the economies of EU nations. The trading bloc of the EU gives us tremendous leverage on in the global economy and countries have become modernized as a result of EU membership, cooperation and legislation.

A single market for goods and iobs is not a bad thing nor is the fact that Europeans enjoy some of the strongest consumer protections in the world.

I voted to leave as I did not like the bully boy tactics it engaged in with Greece and also because I wanted to see what would happen. Quite honestly i never thought the Uk would vote to leave

But this has torn the country apart over the last 3 years and we will now be in a much worse position than if we had speedily exited as planned.

I am torn on the subject of a new referendum. It was never legally binding but to ignore the result just reinforces the pointlessness of voting to many.

1 Like

With only a majority of 1 MP in parliament The conservatives have no mandate to govern but do we really want Corbyn as PM?

The Lib Dems have capitalized on all this chaos and now I am ready to forgive them for the backstabbing they did on their promise not to increase student tuition fee increases. As are many.

Why though?

It most certainly is. It was Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg that came up with the idea because the Low Countries are always the ones who get run over first when the great powers go to war.

The idea was always to start with themselves and then expand it to all of Europe. They were working on it while their governments were still in exile in London during WW2. That’s why the “capital” of the EU is Brussels and not Paris or something.

1 Like

Do you think Labour could possibly ■■■■ it up worse than the Tories have at this point.

European Coal and Steel Community to European Economic Community to European Union in an unbroken chain.

1 Like

Some questions:

Will you now require a passport to go to France as a result?

Can you specify more about Greece’s treatment? I never really paid much attention past their going bankrupt, but I was also under the impression that Germany was being the main ■■■■■■ in all that.

Do you see any positive effects to Brexit now as opposed to when you initially entertained the idea?

NATO and the EU certainly help keep the peace.

It’s made them interdependent on one another in a way that didn’t exist before World War I broke out.

There were voices back in the late 19th century that predicted that war could not erupt between the great powers due to economic entanglement.

What they didn’t realize was that Europe wasn’t all that entangled in 1900. They were still economically independent, with emphasis on their various economic relations with the United States and their colonies. Thus the decision to go to war was easy for the ruling class.

Today it would be much more difficult. Not impossible. But very difficult.

Wonder how different things would have turned out had France got what they wanted and the European Defense Community (which intentionally excluded the United States) got off of the ground.

1 Like

Interestingly, they really were seriously interdependent on each other. “Globalization” has happened three times before this one and that particular one, thanks to the invention of wireless radio, brought the world together in a seismic shift comparable to the internet. They had a bunch of nifty international organizations and were coming off the longest period of peace in Europe in centuries.

Isn’t this basic world history stuff? I’m not following why it has to be explained or why it is being argued.

1 Like

the hell have you been the last 4 years?

1 Like

:rofl:

Fair question brother.

Your post is fundamentally unsound.

I read a book called Last Hope Island a couple years ago, which covers the occupied countries who ended up with governments in exile in London during WW2 and it’s a facet of history I was not terribly familiar with and it was really good

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

There is nothing I wrote that is a C- the treaty of Versailles is one of the factors that led to WW2.

read your post again. no one is claiming that argument.

@Nemesis @MoelUK would you be able to explain why (Great) Britain is not the correct term when discussing the referendum about Brexit?