Let's hope this trend continues

So, just throw more money after more of the same?

I read this as a withdrawal of funding from public school to the parent who then uses the funds to apply for private school.

2 Likes

Again, my area is kind of ■■■■■■ up. Private schools definitely don’t work that way here. I know plenty of families who got their kids into very prestigious private schools despite their kids low academic performances.

But yes, there are some grants, and what not, but as a larger trend, the higher the cost, the more difficult it will be for many people to use this program.

You hit on another issue - and I admit, it’s a double edged sword, becuase for the kid, it’s often the right thing to do, but:

the average cost of education in a public school system is just that - an average, right? Some kids are cheaper to education, some are much, much more expensive.

So in the case of Iowa, it’s…let’s just call it 8K to keep it easy.

If the average is 8K, then some kids cost 12 - these would typically be the harder to educate, kids who use tutor programs, free lunches and breakfast, after school hours if they are offered, medically challenged kids who require special transport and in school aids, ADHD and other learning issue kids, again, often require in school aids to shadow them…

On the other end, some kids cost 4…good students, parental support at home to help with academics, no physical educational or social issues…

Since private schools are not obligated to accept all students, regardless of this program, they will primarily be admitting the kids who are cheaper to educate.

So 8K goes with the kid into the private school’s pocket, even though those kids only cost 4 to educated, leaving the toughest to educate behind with less money in the till.

IMO, the better approach to fixing education is, fix the community.

Yes “apply” to a private school. You don’t have to apply (and possibly get rejected) from a public school.

We already have this model. It’s the university system. Why do we want to copy that?

No, it’s not nearly that simple and I’m not trying to generalize.

What i am saying is, there is a clear link between poverty and parental invovlment for many reasons including:

• Poor families often work multiple jobs, and both (if two are present) parents work, and simply aren’t on hand to help.
  • Poor families often have less experience with academics, so they are often less euiped to help with homework etc…
  • Poor families are often single parent homes, so again, avavilibility is an issue.

I’m not suggesting how to solve it. Just pointing out the obvious that affluent families tend to have more parental invovlemnt and poorer families tend to have less.

Why do people get defensive about the objective reality that poverty makes educational success more difficult?

Is that mandatory?

Because it isn’t poverty that makes educational success difficult.

2 Likes

I disagree with that. There are plenty of parents more involved in their careers and have little involvement with their children. There are plenty of poor parents who have a lot of involvement with their children.

Little involvement no matter what the resources are going to result in poor performance by the child.

2 Likes

No but K-12 is

The scam on this is to get public money into actual grooming academies, ie religious schools, where impressionable young minds can be convinced that stories in the Bible are real. And a steady pipeline for the pedo groomers in religious institutions.

The effect will be an explosion of for profit charter schools, where kids can learn about Science, Brought To You By Mountain Dew.

2 Likes

Yeah, so I’m not sure what your point is about Universities.

It implies that the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” theory is bull ■■■■ .

Yes. It actually does.

Public money is going into grooming academies and parents don’t like your brand of grooming.

Excellent. When they aren’t meeting the mark parent’s are paying for they can go out of business.

2 Likes

Really? If you take a kid and show them the value of education and what they can do with their lives because of it, create a hunger and motivation for goals how is that being pulled up by bootstraps?

Kind of tired of the old excuse some are implying that poverty makes people too dumb and lazy to value a free education.

What difference does it make whether or not parents get money back? That’s not the point. The point is educating kids right? The money follows the student, not the parent, and the money will apply to everyone, not just “rich” parents.

You talk about good schools being over populated and thus reducing the quality of education? Why do you not think about how likewise bad schools will have to improve? Maybe get rid of bad teachers and change to a curriculum that’s more effective. Competition works in every other endeavor, but for some reason, Libs believe education is exempt from this rule.

The truth is that our public school system is run more by the teachers union and politicians than by meeting the needs of the students and the concerns of parents. Have you really not seen the statements put out by school officials flat out saying that parents have no right or business to have a say in what and how their kids are taught? This is the lefts position.

Your a perfect example of the Lib mentality that parents are subservient to teachers, just like you believe that tax payers are to politicians. That’s one of the fundamental differences between Libs and Cons. Cons still maintain the quaint notion that teachers and politicians work for, and are accountable to us, not the other way around.

You keep whining about how poor people are always adversely affected by any policy that doesn’t shower them with direct payments from the government trough. Thats’s ■■■■■■■■■

Poor people already get lots of money, far more than the average tax payer gets from the government. Want an example? How about child tax credits? What the hell is that about? As a personal example, my daughter and son in law have 2 kids. They both work, live in a small rented house and drive a vehicle to work. They have a big screen TV, all the pay channels… Etc. Yet, they don’t make near he income my wife and I do, meaning they don’t pay near the taxes. So please explain to me how they got back 9 grand on their tax return? That means they way overpaid what they owed right? You know damn well that’s not the case at all. It’s because somewhere along the way, Lib politicians figured out another way to buy vote from parents by coming up with a “child tax credit” Do you think my daughter and son in law used their “REFUND” to raise their kids? Maybe setting aside that money they get every year for their college fund? I’ll give you three guesses… Please stop the " poor people" nonsense. Many, many people who were born in poverty made great successes of their lives. Lack of money didn’t hold them back.

Schools are about EDUCATION. Teaching kids to read, write, do math, maybe learning how to find Mexico on a map… Not the joys of perversion, men can get pregnant, white men oppress everyone, that America is bad, and certainly not that ANYONE IS ENTITLED TO ANYTHING!! Schools should teach kids to think, that life isn’t always fair but that they can succeed if they work hard and equip them to go out into the world.

Life doesn’t give them a participation trophy just because they exist…

4 Likes

Well said.

Amazing that offering choice to the betterment of the child is even controversial.

2 Likes

This was one of the selling point conservatives on this board talked about.

“Why are my property taxes paying for schools I don’t use”

At private schools, who has the right to change curriculum? It’s not parents. Or at least not the poor, unconnected ones.

In a school of 500… should 5 parents be able to change the entire curriculum of a class if 495 other parents are ok with it?

Who should have control?

Parent today can take their kids out of school and either home school, send them private, or transfer to another public school. They have that choice.

This voucher is showing poor people with more money than they pay in property tax. But for some reason y’all don’t have an issue with it. Why?

Yes, assuming they can afford the private school and the school accepts them.

Iowa has made it affordable.

If a private school doesn’t accept them then I’m sure there are others forthcoming that will as a result of this legislation.