Lebron James took a knee but call people supporting Hong Kong "Misinformed"

I have the same frustration with a lot of his critics. There’s a lot more patience for Hong Kong protesters, than there is for social justice protesters in the US on the same or similar issues.

He’s wrong on Hong Kong but the backlash is way out of proportion with his error.

I think the outrage is more because James isn’t the first person to defend China and suggest supporting Hong Kong is misinformed this month.

He is just one of a dozen people who have make similar statement this month.
Its a mounting outrage at how much control China has over the American market.

I disagree. James has done what he’s complained about re: social issues here. He has spoken up and decried someone taking a stand against oppression. Worse, the oppressing entity he’s defending is guilty of levels of oppression much greater than what he’s decried here in the States. And he did so because of the almighty dollar. It’s disgusting.

2 Likes

Will be arguing the important issues like can a man with a penis be a woman, what is the proper pronoun to use, whether someone may or may not be racist (probably not) while China 2025 takes over the world and topples the semiconductor industry leaving the west in the dust.

1 Like

It’s already disgusting to defend oppression at that level, which is why I take issue with the unanimous backlash he’s receiving. The backlash is coming from an audience that, in part, is just as willing to lick boots as LeBron is for their own convenience.

LeBron is wrong, but the noise from the mob is way too loud because too many of our own authoritarians are shouting at him too.

I vehemently protest any idea that he’s lost his moral authority to speak out on social issues, particularly in the United States, because that’s what some people are really after here.

To be clear, I don’t think he’s lost all of his social credit. Nor do I think he shouldn’t speak out on domestic social issue. His credibility, however, has taken a hit and rightly so. He’ll need to earn that back if he expects to have the same platform. He still has a platform, it’s just not nearly as high.

1 Like

Lebron definitely screwed up here. He should have just said he loves all of his fans in China (not China itself) and it’s unfortunate that so many are upset.

If asked if he is being hypocritical in his support for of other types of social justice, he should say he’s only concerned about his country.

Yes, they care so much about Hong Kong but are silent about undocumented children in America being locked up in China.

But let’s be honest, many of those critics are just bitter at NBA players in general.

1 Like

looks like Lebron is stepping out of Basketball and into politics, hope his misinformed sickness with Communism doesn’t destroy him!

He’s bowing…to the almighty dollar and not to something higher.

1 Like

Just like most rich people

There are many very wealthy people I know, who are very generous and it’s very refreshing to witness. All in all though, you’re probably right.

anyone can be generous, taking a stand that will effect you personal is rare.

donating money is the lowest form of generosity.

I’m not saying wealthy people can’t be generous. I am saying that they will make interesting decisions when it can negatively impact their wealth/income stream.

Perpetrated by the same people who are pushing the sick Russian hoax !!!

I hate this term, but the Chinese really are snowflakes.

China could teach a lesson to our authoritarians, the government is much more totalitarian and the people and culture on a whole is way less tolerant of ethnic minorities.

There’s not much to learn. Google translate through debates, or read the arguments of the english speaking amongst those on both sides of this issue, and it’s easy to spot the same tricks and language our authoritarians used and continue to use.

Isolated incidents of violence are magnified to vilify the entire body of protesters and their cause, making them into rioters.

Complaints over the inconveniences caused by gathering in public spaces and roads are magnified as an indictment against the protesters.

Police moving forward to shoot protesters in the chest are justified by slowed down videos of zoomed in hands making “threatening movement”.

Overseas sources of politcal support for Hong Kong are attacked through a patriotic lens as CIA/globalist influencers.

Armchair ethicists blame both sides, and argue for peace between cops who are escalating force and protesters who are resisting by being subdued and beaten too slowly.

It’s all from the same authoritarian playbook.

Thanks for the post. I now have a profound respect for him that I would not of had without your post.

He hasnt built up any credit for me. It is easy to make a stand when it costs you nothing. See the post by @W_and_C and Enes Kanter. That man is worthy of respect.