Labor shortage in America. A viable solution? Here are a couple

Farm workers and landscapers are very different jobs.
See link above.

They do not pick their own crops.

Amazing some of the ignorance cons spew.

No stress. Sorry.

Maybe some progressive nose picking activists are causing trouble

“Many of these jobs aren’t being filled because people do not want to risk covid exposure”.

How do they plan to avoid it staying home?

Might a working spouse bring it home?

Grocery courier?

Delivery rep?

Kids hanging out with friends?

Are these individuals living in a protective bubble? Do they believe the only risk of death comes from covid?

Staying home as a parent may be a good strategy for the short term, but social security, other retirement savings are contingent on years worked.

1 Like

Worked for a company that raised its wages & this is the extent it helped voluntary attrition—0%.

Much as some fuss about immigrants, they’re not usually the ones kvetching the wages are too low, or the days or hours all wrong, can’t work evenings or weekends, can’t do hazardous duty, can’t work entry level or for under a certain dollar amount.

They’re in there working those jobs that don’t “pay enough”, those shifts and days many natives won’t take.

1 Like

No one thinks that far. The slackers have their hands out demanding government entitlements.

1 Like

Let me spell it out for you.

Doe ray me.

Allan

1 Like

You’re wrong. Cotton, corn and soybeans are not picked, they are harvested with machines and it’s mostly the small farmers that do it.

1 Like

A friend who has since passed away lost her health insurance when her husband suddenly passed.

She had been a homemaker for a time, and when she herself became disabled from kidney failure was forced onto an exchange plan.

Not sure if her working only sporadically meant she couldn’t get Medicare as a disabled woman, but the exchange plan sucked wind.

No one looks at the long term consequence of unemployment (obviously those earning enough with one working spouse wouldn’t have to, and even they, like my aunt, may be disheartened to find they didn’t work long enough to collect any Social Security).

No one is thinking beyond Covid—we probably take more chances dying in traffic going to & from work than from covid, & no one is looking at the potential cons of long term Unemployment, just making excuses & collecting those handouts.

1 Like

I can’t speak for other states, but here in NJ people that exhausted their extended benefits transition to pandemic emergency unemployment compensation, which expires this September 4.

I see it here too. There has been a now hiring sign at my Shoprite for what seems like forever. Offering 13.50 I think. A sign for 15 dollars an hour to dry cars at the car wash. It’s been up for weeks now. Now hiring signs are everywhere I look.

It sure does seem like there are more jobs to fill than those collecting UE benefits. I think a sizeable portion of people have opted out if the workforce and are getting by on less money.

Extended benefits are thirteen weeks. PEUC is thirteen weeks. Plus twenty six, that’s still fifty two weeks.

Nowhere in that article does it mention what they were being paid. That is the top motivating factor. This, from your article…

“It really showed no comparison,” Spencer, who lives in Birmingham, told HuffPost. “The American workers could not do what the Mexican workers did. They were physically and mentally incapable.

Ever unload trucks for UPS? There are a lot of people physically and mentally incapable. Until they find the one’s are aren’t. I did that back in 1985, and the only reason I worked that job is because it paid 8 dollars an hour.

You’d be surprised at how mentally capable people are when the pay is higher. Most Americans would rather work that a supermarket than in agriculture if the pay is going to be similar.

N.J. won’t qualify for extended unemployment benefits. Here’s what will happen to your claim. - nj.com

Second paragraph.

Yes that is exactly what I’m talking about. PEUC was created in spring 2020. You still only get fifty two weeks of unemployment between state unemployment, extended benefits and PEUC in pretty much all states.

My point was in comparison to paying Mexicans. The Americans are getting paid more.

You did see where it said September 4th, right?

Yes. You’re still eligible for it. That does not mean you get it forever. PEUC is limited to thirteen weeks. You don’t get more than fifty two weeks of unemployment in any state except Montana and often significantly less in southern and southwestern states.

I’m unsure what I’m not explaining correctly.