Korea- trump didnt bring talks

Kim wasn’t and neither was his father.

I remain a critic of Trump on a personal level and when I think his policies are wrong such as all of my postings about the possibility of his threatened trade wars blowing up in our faces.

I support the same policy choices with respect to Korea today that I have for decades and have no matter who was sitting in the WH or holding the majority in congress.

The only difference today we actually have a president supporting the same policies and as a result there’s a very good chance we’ll finally see an end to this conflict.

Kim Jong-il participated in both summits.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for the bold, I do sincerely hope you are correct.

Bush sent B-1s and B-52s to Guam in 2006 [1]. Obama resent the B-1s to Guam in 2016 [2]. We set up a missile defense shield on Guam in 2013. [3]

The war games were similar in size to previous years, according to the Pentagon [4].

There were three carrier strike groups in 2006 and 2007 [5].

1. U.S. Moves Bombers To Guam - ABC News
  2. https://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/31/b-1-bombers-patrol-skies-guam.html
  3. North Korea threats: US to move missile defences to Guam - BBC News
  4. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/us-south-korea-war-games-that-freak-out-north-korea-coming-soon.html
  5. 3 US Carrier Strike Groups Hold Massive Naval Drill with South Korean, Japanese Navies in Western Pacific – The Diplomat
2 Likes

Dont do that…you make him look bad…:wink:

Kim never left N. Korea to come to the south. His son was the first to do so since the ceasefire.

In 2000 he met with Albrecht in Pyongyang producing nothing of substance.

2000: Jo Myong Rok, a senior North Korean military leader, visited Washington to meet President Bill Clinton following positive signs in Pyongyang’s talks with South Korea. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright visited Pyongyang shortly thereafter. She met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il to try and expand the Agreed Framework and prepare a potential visit by President Bill Clinton. But the talks ultimately failed.

There were no high level talks in 2008.

In 2009 the whole framework set up by the Six Party Talks came apart completely.

I’m not seeing any record of Kim attending any such meetings from 2000 on and he then died in 2011.

Il Never attended any talks similar to those being setup now meeting with both the US and S. Korean presidents much less offering to completely denuclearize N. Korea and finally sign a peace treaty officially ending the war.

The western Pacific is a very large area. In this case they were actually send in very close to N. Korea.

This was all done concurrently instead of bits and pieces at different times unlike the previous shows of force.

2016 was the largest war games ever.

It’s a fact, you can disagree all you want but you can’t change the facts.

Additionally, a good timeline and summaries can be found here.

I never said Kim left NK. You said:

That’s false. Kim Jong-il came to the table twice - in 2000 and 2007. Now you can move the goal posts and say they didn’t offer this or offer that, but he came to the table. Your statement is false.

Uhm, I’m gonna let you brew on this for a second.

1 Like

Ok.

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2017/08/16/531922/Japan-US-joint-military-drills-Hokkaido

I’m tired and speed reading is not always the best for accuracy.

And

The North Koreans, South Koreans, Japan, and the US press sure seemed to think 2017 was a step up.

There were no high level talks at all in 2007.

The only “talks” he attended were in 2000 was a short, fruitless meeting in Pyongyang with Albrecht.

And in your sleep deprived hurry to try and prove a point, you’re making mine for me. This particular war game was the largest between Japan and the US. You know how large it was?

“Some 3,500 troops are taking part in the 18-day war games, which will include rocket artillery exercises and other live-fire operations.”

3,500 troops. That’s two orders of magnitude smaller than the war games with South Korea involving over 300,000 troops.

From your link: “The scale of the drills is similar to previous years, the military said.”

As I’ve said, Trump has done nothing significantly different than past administrations.

There were similar talks in both 2000 and 2007 in Pyongyang.

And like those, this one will likely not be too fruitful. However, being wrong on that will be a welcome surprise. I’m just under no delusion that Trump has done anything significantly different than past administrations.

1 Like

Which included no nuclear negotiations or agreements.

From your own link.

At the meetings and talks, the two sides reaffirmed the spirit of the June 15th North–South Joint Declaration and had discussions on various issues related to realizing the advancement of South-North relations, peace on the Korean Peninsula, common prosperity of the Korean people and unification of Korea. On October 4, 2007, South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun and North Korean leader Kim Jong-il signed the peace declaration. The document called for international talks to replace the armistice which ended the Korean War with a permanent peace treaty.[5]

And according to the link I provided you they were in fact the largest ever.

Involving Japan and the US. A whopping 3,500 troops.

Compared to the war games with S. Korea involving over 300,000 troops.

Again, Trump has done nothing significantly different than past administrations.