Keystone pipeline offically dead

Yup it would as does KXL1. Straight down to Port Arthur’s TotalEnergies refinery then export via the deep water terminal that can take VLCC’s or that was the plan

1 Like

Yes, everytime there is a refinery that goes down which would be less then 700k prices are affected.

…exactly and thanks helping explain the logic of my post.

I bet we end up paying for this eventually.

The US pipelines are averaging about two leaks per year. And this will continue. We were lucky that this spil didn’t get into the drinking water.

Safer/cleaner than the alternative transport methods or no?

1 Like

A pretty good article of the pros and cons for all ways to transport oil. And from the article it appears that the advantage is dependent on where the economy is at any given time.

Didn’t answer my question so I went and did the rough math as quick and dirty as I could. It’s not a scientific comparison because the years and all don’t line up, but should be ok for a forum spitball……

Rail cars transport roughly 150,000,000 barrels of oil…… but seem to “unintentionally release” about 33,333 barrels.

33,333 / 150,000,000 = .0219%

Pipelines transport ~ 4,745,000,000 per year, and spill 76,000 barrels….

76,000 / 4,745,000,000 = .001602%

Rail cars spill 1,367% more oil by volume than pipelines…… by the rough google-able numbers.

Pipeline spilled per year: America's Dangerous Pipelines

Pipeline transported per year (dayx365) About half of U.S. oil pipeline space is empty after boom time building spree | Reuters

Train spills per year: (gallons/42 for barrels) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/02/17/trains-are-carrying-and-spilling-a-record-amount-of-oil/

Trains oil per year: (day X 365) Crude Oil by Rail - Association of American Railroads

P.s. any article that contains the words “environmental justice issues” more than likely isn’t worth the bytes of data it took to write.

7 Likes

Thanks for doing that. I started to do the same thing, and decided I was too tired.

1 Like

Amazing how two minutes with the most basic of elementary mathematics can yield so much more truth than some hastily googled lib rag in a lame effort to avoid a simple question. :wink:

3 Likes

Rail lines always run along the smooth gradient of waterways.

Another strike on oil by rail.

What color bicycle do you ride?

What’s your horse’s name?

2 Likes

Costco South Florida this morning
Take a victory lap Joe
You ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■