Kennedy Retiring From USSC

That’ll make a solid conservative majority no matter who wins in 2020.- Maybe- Thomas is the oldest conservative and he’s only 70.

It’s kind of interesting that the “principled conservative” seems to be celebrating McConnell’s openly naked corruption and stealing a SCOTUS seat. Calling it a gamble whitewashes what it really was, but you’re happy with the result.

1 Like

Perhaps, and I definitely agree on the other judgeships too. But I’m not sure average Republican voter Joe thinks more deeply about the judicial system past the USSC. And now the court will solidify at 5-4, rather than it being a toss-up on potentially 5-4. It will be a conservative court for many years to come as a result of this. I wonder if that will impact many voters that had their sole purpose in voting was to prevent the high court from leaning left. And they don’t feel the need to turn out as passionately now, feeling victorious?

True, and death could befall any of them at any time. This is a fair point.

Well, this conservative is very happy about this. :smile: Even though I was highly disapproving of what McConnell did previously.

No doubt here. It puts them in a predicament. Although, now that the filibuster is gone, and that fight is over, I would not be surprised to see most of them vote for whomever Trump nominates, out of political expediency, and knowing it won’t matter on the confirmation anyway.

1 Like

The one thing I’ve always given Trump credit for is the quality of his choices for the courts. There has been the odd exception, but for the most part that is one thing he’s done very well.

Of course, he’s just picking names from a list already provided for him. But I don’t care. All I do care about is Heritage really did their homework for him.

Prepare for Justice Palin liberal scum.

You don’t believe “Supreme Court” voters will breath a sigh of relief and take in their victory?

And I agree, there is a vocal minority on the left that are rabid. But they are a minority nonetheless.

1 Like

Why are you such a bad person?

3 Likes

I’ve been extremely pleased with the ones he has nominated thus far, pretty well across the board, save one or two. And I’m certain the USSC nomination will be someone that we will be pleased with too.

McConnell trolling the libs :

I didn’t disapprove with McConnell holding up the Garland nomination as the Senate is not compelled to put a nominee up for a vote.

McConnell decided to roll the dice, make the vacancy an election issue and it paid off for Rs. Everyone who voted in the election realized a SCOTUS vacancy was on the line.

Now that being said, Rs must be prepared for Ds doing the same in the future should such a situation arise. If Schumer should be majority leader next year and a vacancy comes up in late 2019 or 2020, he of course will do the same thing.

That’s one reason why it is important that Rs continue to hold the Senate next year, even with a majority. 5 to 4 is too close for comfort, particularly as I mentioned the unexpected death of Scalia is what got us here in the first place.

In addition to Ginsburg, Thomas and Bryer aren’t so young any more either.

I still don’t like Trump, but give him lots of credit for Gorsuch and am confident the next nominee will be excellent as well.

And probably a good age too… I think Gorsuch is in his late 40s.

1 Like

Even though I hated he base partisanship of locking out an Obama nominee, replacing Scalia with another Scalia didn’t bother me too much.

Replacing a moderate though… that bothers me.

I think that the GOP is going to rue the day when the pendulum swings back and norms that they eroded for political expediency are no longer there.

I know I will rue that day also.

2 Likes

Of course you don’t.

Yes please or Moore. Please please please make it Moore or Palin. The confirmation hearings alone are worth every second.

We have had a conservative court longer than a liberal one. Again nobody knows what Gorsuch really in. Lest we forget who it was that nominated Kennedy.

Boohoo.

Now you want to resort to killing Americans to get your way.

the number of members r of the court is not set in stone. congress could pass a law expanding it

I don’t think that’s the reason.

How many pounds have you gained since you were young?

He won’t do anything nutty. It’s the one thing that anti Trump conservatives have given him credit for… the quality of judges he put forth for nomination. Highly qualified and conservative.

He’s really changing the political make up of the courts in a rightward direction… not just the Supreme.

Full credit to McConnell for pushing as many through as he can. It’s a record number to this point in a presiden’ts term.

1 Like

there is no such law and even if there was one a future congress could change it.

the constitution doesnt limit the number of court members

I know. I have to be a little giddy at the prospect though. I can’t control Kennedy retiring. Trump won. Election apparently have consequences. The world is not ending. People should vote.

1 Like