Kennedy Retiring From USSC

You want that because that is the legal opinion you agree with.

It isn’t the only legal opinion out there… which is why I feel that the country is best served by a mixture of opinions that forms a consensus as to the least worst interpretation of the law.

Exactly. Rule on law, not on “precedent.” Especially when most of that “precedent” is made up on the fly.

i don’t think you need it. the new court will be right leaning enough to get a ton of the stuff that Rush and Fox and hardcore republicans have only dreamed about previously. it won’t last forever but republican’s just won a major victory with Kennedy’s retirement.

How did he not have a choice? He didn’t follow the Constitution, which is always the right choice.

And if we didn’t have a bunch of lawyers finding creative new ways to write the laws, they wouldn’t need nearly so much interpreting. Imagine that.

Right. But Oregon isn’t liberal, Portland is.

I’ve got a Pulitzer Prize winning biographer talking about obama’s gay lovers. Quotes from obama’s old college friends “assuming” he was lovers with chandoo, and a limo driver who claims to have had sex with him.

What do you have??

Besides phony birther claims.

If he had ruled it Unconstitutional the rest of the house of cards including Medicare, SS, etc would also be unconstitutional as well. He was literally between a rock and a hard place. The whole system would have broken down.

I disagree. Salem is where the state government is located. They’re pretty damn liberal.

Also Kate Brown doesn’t live in Portland.

1 Like

For the most part this discussion has been civil and good. However, there have been a couple of posters who are only here to troll and are embarrassing themselves.

you mean besides his wife and kids?

cra cra

Legal opinion? What argument is there against homosexual marriage with the 14th Amendment in place?

What Constitutional argument is there for obamacare? Roberts didn’t even make one.

They have forgotten about the Constitution and only look at their own precedence. Scalia even did it Heller.

They are self-perpetuating. A closed loop. Adrift with no anchor.

No law should be more than two pages.

Solution to this? Because I agree. The stature of the co-equal branch of Article III has risen beyond its intended design.

The whole Constitution was only 4 pages.

They do it that way because even against all of your protestations… that is how the judiciary actually works.

Sorry that it doesn’t fit into the Saturday Morning Cartoon version of what you want.

Dude. No. No.

I don’t know about that. I do know there shouldn’t be riders attached to bills to get them to pass that have nothing to do with the law in the bill. I also think line item veto should be a thing. But hey, we all know what opinions are worth.

My family used to have Rush on every radio the family owned, and we’d listen when we drove around town doing whatever. I remember Rush consoling his listeners after Bill won (the first time, I believe) and reassuring them America would be OK and we’d all make it…after having spent the election convincing them all Bill Clinton would be the end of America as we knew it.

I think in recent history, Glenn Beck was the biggest culprit. IMO, he crossed more than a few lines, and really streamlined/normalized the level of crazy that Alex Jones has been spewing for years. Fox was part of that for allowing him to go as far as he did sometimes. He was shunned by some on the right for not falling into lock step behind Trump, but it seems a few have gone back to him post-election.