Just beware when you hire a general contractor

Just two examples, but the laws of many States regarding general contracting leave much to be desired.

And North Carolina just took a giant step ass backwards, raising the legal limit for unlicensed contractors from $30,000 to $40,000.

Need a contractor???

1. Make sure the individual is licensed. VERIFY that he is licensed by checking with the appropriate authority in your State. And make sure the individual names match, as there has been a LOT of unlicensed contractors working using the numbers of deceased individuals.

2. Make sure they are insured and verify they have sufficient general liability insurance to cover the potential liability of the work that is being done. in other words, if they are only carrying $20,000, move along to the next guy.

3. Check their past history and credentials. Just because they are licensed and insured does NOT mean they have the credentials to do the particular job you have in mind. Again, many States are woefully deficient in testing contractors and verifying their work history credentials before licensing them.

4. And if they give you a lowball bid, below what the project is expected to cost, run away like Charles Manson is on your tail. If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

5. If you have a project like a home build, money should be payable at major milestones, upon building inspector approval. The final money should not be paid until you have a certificate of occupancy in hand.

Just thought I would post this since I saw both these articles today.

5 Likes

I would add never allow them to present you with a bill for “extras” if you didn’t authorize it via change order for a specific amount signed by both parties.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm. My brother had to get a Connecticut contractor’s license and the test was rather comprehensive.

Edit to add;

I just did a little research and he needed a license because he did some larger commercial jobs other than building houses. He was also certified for asbestos removal and some other things. He is retired now.