June 7, BLS Jobs report: Americans losing jobs Y-o-Y

I have that problem often.

That’s how I got accustomed to using the (reposted) numbers via the St Louis Fed.

Often you can get (original) historical numbers from BLS at this link:
https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsatabs.htm
but it seems to be a bit hinky (like they changed their system or some such)

wanna make it (full-time jobs) look even worse?

Here is full-time jobs ÷ total labor force.

I am not sure if it is or is not a fair analysis (people took early retirement during COVID etc.)

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

That’s good. All non-government?

I’m certainly no economist, I don’t think government spending should be included in the metrics to determine a “strong” economy.

I would like to see public and private completely divided on all these metrics, jobs everything.

1 Like

I don’t have time to make another graphic, so you’ll have to trust me.
a lot of the job growth has been in gov’t but also in

• healthcare
  • social services (gov’t contractors?)
  • private education.
  • travel, dining & leisure.

This month there was a tick up in some sorta tech jobs. That’s a welcome respite, but it’s not a trend yet.

1 Like

Lol. Oh brother.

From the Liberal Spin Meister’s over at Barons:

“The bigger-than-expected 272,000 gain in non-farm payrolls in May will soothe recent fears that the bottom had suddenly dropped out of the economy,” wrote Capital Economics Chief North America Economist Paul Ashworth on Friday. “With average hourly earnings increasing by 0.4% m/m last month, the Fed will remain focused on the upside risks to inflation rather than the downside risks to the real economy.”

1 Like

And then when more details get released, we’ll find (again) that the majority of jobs are going to non-USA-citizens.

Is the unemployment rate higher for us citizens than for permanent residents or visa holders?

Sorry or was the refrence to illegals

1 Like

My question is were these lost jobs those “high paying union jobs” that we have been hearing about?

2 Likes

You mean what they did with job report?

You mean how the report is portrayed?

Sure.

So you’re admitting that you accused Gaius of doing what your side does all the time.

Ooooohhhh. :joy:.

Yes my side does it all the time. Now that we have settled that your side is not better we should be good methinks.

Since YoY jobs for Americans is down that must be the case on a YoY basis.

The numbers don’t lie.

There’s a lot of layoffs like this:

1 Like

The “great replacement theory” on display…period.

Here’s a good analysis on some of these questions:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/economic-data-paint-a-picture-of-two-americas/ar-BB1nR3xT?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=616104f8a3e44eddacff39549b30a187&ei=19

There were also disconnects within the May jobs report that had analysts scratching their heads. For instance, while the overall unemployment rate remains quite low by historical standards at 4.0%, unemployment among 20- to 24-year-olds was 7.9%, up from 6.3% a year earlier. And earlier this week, job openings fell to their lowest level in more than three years.

One possible reason for the mix of caution and abandon is that people lower on the income ladder who spend a bigger share of their income on necessities are feeling pinched and less confident about their job prospects. Meanwhile, wealthier households are still spending.

What is becoming hard to miss is that companies that serve a wealthier clientele sound much more confident lately. While food makers see shoppers struggling with inflation, cruise lines are booming.

Swollen doesn’t mean it’s swell. :wink:

2 Likes

We don’t know.

We know that the # of full time jobs is in a strong and steady decline.
IF it is fair to compare FT jobs as % of the total labor force, the full-time jobs picture looks even worse.

FT middle income jobs being lost and perhaps being replaced with the OBiden invasion hordes could be very problematic.
It pisses people off.