Judge not… Really? What does that even mean?

We hear this all the time. Usually misquoted and taken out of context. Yet this verse seems to be the basis on which the decent members of society stand by (or are silenced ) and allow our country to slowly be destroyed.

The scripture used is from Matthew 7, “ 1] Judge not, that ye be not judged. [2] For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. [3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Clearly, it does not forbid judging. How then did we get to the point that people, even Christians, tolerate the ungodliness that has overtaken our country?

Perhaps there is more to “judgement” than just this verse…

Sounds very similar in concept to “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

Personally, I always read it as a warning against hypocrisy.

Absolutely! Yet the admonition against judging others is widely used.

There’s a lot of biblical quotes that have been similarly restated from a secular point of view to make them applicable to non Christians. Good advice if it is used…

1 Like

Because quite often the person doing the judging is being a hypocrite

I believe the key in understanding this is; “For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged.”

In modern vernacular I think it would translate to don’t be a hypocrite and don’t accuse others of that which you are guilty.

The passage is about judging the person.

It’s not about knowing (and saying) that a particular behavior is right or wrong, or a belief, or an opinion.

In the extreme, there is nothing wrong with saying that rape is wrong, even though it’s a judgment about the action. But to say that the rapist will go to hell is not ours to decide, or to judge.

4 Likes

I was raised to be a Christian, and I don’t know what it’s suppose to mean to be a Christian anymore, but I do look forward to the warm embrace of Christ upon my cold death. He showed up in every NDE I had. Vishnu did also once, but that’s a whole 'nother conversation. lol

1 Like

I’m basically against judging because it’s not my place, but at the same time on first glance I tend to avoid people who look like meth heads, even though they may be world renowned chefs or artists. Is that judging or instinct, the same as antelopes avoiding lions?

1 Like

People aren’t saying that Christians should be silent.

They’re saying they are being hypocritical and also using apocalyptic language (THE COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED) solely to gain power in the government, not to honor Jesus.

The NT ushered in an era of personal salvation. Well it was always personal salvation, but the period where such was exemplified by chosen nations such as Israel ended with Jesus. Once Jesus arrived, types and figures pointing to Jesus were no longer needed.

And the goal of Christians is to preach the Gospel, period. Not remake the country in which they live over to look like they want it to.

That’s not glorifying God…that’s glorifying one’s own sense of self righteousness.

You don’t just want to believe that LGBTQ are sinful and need to come to Christ so he can wash away their sins and remake them into new creatures.

You want to use secular power to marginalize them by making it the law of the land that they are sinful.

2 Likes

You make some good points but I am not talking about any specific sin or behavior here. Sin is sin and only man makes distinctions between them in terms of punishment.

If you want to use LGBTQ people as an example, God calls homosexuality an abomination, however, in Revelation he lumps liars in with the group who will suffer the second death. We all have lied and so stand equally condemned.

You are also correct, Christians are called to spread the gospel. The problem is that while it is absolutely true that Jesus loves everyone and this is a vital part of the gospel message, he also said that except man repents, he can’t even see the kingdom.

Shouldn’t the call to repentance then be imperative in the gospel message? And by extension of that thought, shouldn’t an understanding of what repentance means and how we apply it to our life be included? And is that “judging” and being hypocritical?

You’ve had multiple NDEs?? Sounds like you’re lucky to be alive! Maybe God is trying to get your attention…:thinking:

Lucky perhaps, but perhaps also purposed. I understand what “my” Higher Self is, so I have returned to the Divine Play (the Illusion). There’s no reason not to. There’s still so much left to do. “We” belong here. These are the kinds of truth that cause some folks to get angry, violent, etc…

Uni - One, Single

Verse - Line of Poetry

It’s “Us”. All of it. Everything we do, we do to ourselves, for ourselves, by ourselves.

1 Like

Nobody and nothing prevents you from issuing a call to repentance.

The problem becomes when you want to marry that call to government power.

Every time Christians have done that, the results have been disastrous.

Did you ever play seven degrees of Kevin Bacon?
Did you ever apply it to Christianity?

Imagine taking Jesus’ message and saying

“I am a Christian. that means I think really harsh thoughts about young people and their rotten hairstyles, people who spend too much time on their phones, the people who want us to change our pronouns”

Now imagine adding to that

“Jesus predicted that 2000 years after his death, any country that lacks a sufficient quantity of such thinkers of harsh thoughts will have a lower GDP and eventually cease to exist.”

Jesus said nothing about countries existing or not existing,
…I repeat…
Jesus said nothing about countries existing or not existing.

Jesus did not at all say “If you love me then sit around thinking harsh thoughts about other people.”
…I repeat…
Jesus did not at all say “If you love me then sit around thinking harsh thoughts about other people.”

That would be a R-I-D-C-U-L-O-U-S interpretation of Jesus’ teachings.
I can connect Kevin Bacon to Marylin Monroe in fewer than seven steps.
That does not mean Kevin Bacon and Marylin Monroe are the same person.

I agree and am against theocracies. That does not mean that all behaviors from a secular viewpoint are equally valid, are beneficial to society and therefore should be encouraged or allowed.

I just don’t see anywhere in Jesus message
'If you love me encourage others to do this, and disallow others from doing that."

He was not at all a political office holder, nor did he have a political platform
(well, excpoet maybe prhobtiing second marriages.)

You should have stopped at “encouraged”.

Once you added “allowed”…you WERE talking about a theocracy.

1 Like

It means what it used to mean.

Don’t let lib redefinitions sway you into confusion. And don’t let the faults of individuals impact your own faith.

1 Like