Judas - villain or hero?

This is an interesting website about the trial of Jesus.

The four gospels place the time and scene of the arrest of Jesus as night in the garden of Gethsemane, an olive grove just west of Jerusalem on the Mount of Olives. The arresting party most likely consisted of Temple police dispatched by Caiaphas, the high priest. The party may also have included, as John reports, a Roman cohort under its commanding officer–but it is hard to believe that deployment of so large a force (a cohort consisted of about 600 men) would be seen as desirable to effectuate the arrest of a single individual.

The role in the arrest of Jesus of Judas, a follower of Jesus, is a matter of historical debate. Jesus Scholar Bart Ehrman, author of Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium, notes that prior to the disturbance at the Temple, nothing Jesus had said suggested he thought himself the Messiah or “King of the Jews.” Asking the question, “So where did the authorities get the idea that he did?,” Erhman suggests an answer: Judas. As a motive for his betrayal, Erhman identifies two theories. The first theory holds that Judas became disillusioned when he realized that Jesus “had no intention of assuming the role of a political-military messiah.” The second theory holds that Judas “wanted to force Jesus’ hand” and believed that his arrest would lead to a call for an uprising against Roman rule. Other scholars such as John Crossan, author of Who Killed Jesus?, have a somewhat simpler explanation. Crossan speculates that Judas may have been captured in the incident at the Temple–and that he might have been pressured to tell authorities who had caused the Temple trouble, not just where the guilty party might be found.

The gospels provide three very different accounts of the trial of Jesus. Peter, possibly writing as early as the 40s C.E., describes a single trial scene involving Jewish, Roman, and Herodian officials. Mark, writing in the 60s C.E., describes two separate proceedings, one involving Jewish leaders and one in which the Roman prefect for Judea, Pontius Pilate, plays the key role. Matthew and John’s account generally support Mark’s two-trial version. Finally, Luke–alone among the gospels–adds a third proceeding, having Pilate pass the buck (for jurisdictional reasons) and sending Jesus to Herod Antipas.

This thread about Judas’ motivation reminded me of Jesus Christ Superstar and your post about the trial before Herod … well that would be a diversion from the thread. :slight_smile:

I’m not remembering that…

Unless I posted something about Barry Dennen being the Pontius Pilate? (forget who played Herod but he sucked).

Although if you want me to get back on topic…

Jesus’ arrest came a few days after he overturned the moneychangers tables in the Temple - where they had to be because people brought all this stuff for sacrifices which they needed to “change” into appropriate sacrificial material…

So they would have known him. Plus if he was gonna preach in Jerusaleum…all they had to do was wait until he started preaching.

And just why did hand-picked-by-Christ Judas betray his Lord? Was it to force His hand? Or was it for money?

The most interesting account I remember was something I read years and years ago. I no longer remember all the details, but the gist of the account centers around the son of Gamaliel, a well-known rabbi. The son’s name was Jesus (Yeshua) as well.

On that particular Passover (one where Jesus caused a disruption in the Temple) there was also an uprising against Rome in the city. The reason there was that march on Caiaphas place, where it appears the Sanhedrin had gathered for Passover is that this Roman Legion went to look for for this Jesus Bar-rabbi (son the of the Rabbi) the leader of these rebels. Judas, a known member of the Sicari ( a rebel group of the time) might have been a member of this rebellion as well.

Naturally, the Sanhedrin could not afford to be in anyway connected with or seen as being connected with this rebellion at all, but how to keep the Romans from killing them all? (“Better that one man die than all of us.”)

It was decided to save themselves and their Rabbi’s son, they would point to Jesus (who called himself Son of the Father–Bar-rabbas) and who had made a ruckus in their Temple and was an ongoing annoyance to them.

Judas (assuming he was part of the ‘Bar-rabbi’ group) would have known of his leader’s trouble and this was the reason he was in a rush to leave the Last Supper. He wanted to be of help to Yesua Bar Rabbi. The Temple authorities agreed to pay Judas in silver if he would back their story to the Roman legion by leading them to Jesus’ out-of-the-way camp in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Who knows. Perhaps they even promised this would all blow over and both Yeshua’s would be free. Instead, Jesus was arrested and tried. Judas went back and flung the money back into the Temple and hanged himself.

The Romans tried Jesus as a rebel against Rome, and crucifixion was the punishment for rebels. The Gospels report two other rebels were hung with them–one of whom stated while they were guilty, Jesus was not.

The Sanhedrin saw Jesus’ death as solving two problems: Their own possible connection (funding perhaps) to this rebellion; and, Jesus’ claiming to be the Son of God and forgiving sins–gathering people to him.

After Jesus’ death, but with the Apostles continuing on with Jesus’ message, it was Gamaliel who convinced the Sanhedrin to leave the Apostles alone.

A memorable conjecture, but answers several questions (keep in mind, raises more):

One, Jews claim there is no way the Sanhedrin wouldn’t have held court on the Passover, a holy event for them.

Two, there is no record of any other claim that Pilate released a Jewish prisoner over Passover.

Rome would not have crucified anyone because of a Sanhedrin request against a rival religious sect. They would crucify a rebel.

Erle Stanley Gardner was fond of saying, “Someone found a button and sewed a vest on it.” The above theory could be exactly that–but as I said, I always found it an interesting conjecture.

Josh Mostel, son of Zero, was great in the movie.

I’ve read scholarly works that argue that Judas was given explicit orders by Jesus. Others that had Judas as a rebel against Rome.

But all of these, like the Bible, cast Judas as little more than an acter with little personality.

Exploring the motivations of the individuals in the Bible has historically been hazardous. cf. The banning of Kazantzakis Last Temptation of Christ.

Actually, it was Judas’ call.

If he asked for forgiveness, why would he be any different from anyone who sinned and asked for forgiveness?

Very true.

Here’s my props for Barry Dennen’s Pilate

The video clarity isn’t that great, but the songs are good. Pilate’s dream, then Pilate trying to convince Christ to say something in his own defense.

And for a different version of his most powerful song, from the soundtrack.

And no one does Gesthsemane better than Ted Neeley