John 21:11 "153 large fish."

I dipped into a video that includes this verse from John and speculations on why specifically 153 is recorded. 153 = 3 x 3 x 17

I searched for a list of countries graded by population and by land mass. It interested me that the cut-off point for the 153 largest countries by land mass happened to be… Israel.

Does anyone have any ideas on the reason for John including the specific figure of 153 large fish?

I heard that at the time of the writing, there were 153 known species of fish. The number was to signify some of every species, as a metaphor that people of all nations were to be evangelized.

Yes. I read that somewhere too. Wikipedia gives a lot of the theories and questions the authenticity of the 153 known species, for what that is worth.

In 2020 Israel was the 152 largest country by area.
Countries by Area - StatisticsTimes.com

The birth of new nations larger than Israel have slowly pushed Israel down to 153rd in size.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/09/16/the-9-newest-countries-in-the-world/

Another sign the final reaping of the world is drawing near?

Rev. 14: 14¶And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
15And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
16And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.
17¶And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
18¶And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.
19And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.
20And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

Israel may bob up and down around 153rd in size as new larger nations are formed and old larger nations are annexed. But maybe at the time of the great ingathering it will have settled again at 153rd.

There was no state of Israel before 1948.

1 Like

There eas no country of Idrael in 1843 .